Monday, June 17, 2013

Worship in Times of Loneliness

Oh magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.  Psalm 34:3
Father's Day rose with hope renewed.  I went to Sunday School to teach as my husband went to Mom's to clean and hopefully bring her back with him to church worship.  Things didn't work out quite as expected and he ended up getting to worship late.  However, when we got home we had a lot of fun.  All of our children were able to be here, so we had 15 people running around in our little house.  There was a lot of laughter and storytelling during lunch, then the adults went in to watch episodes of "Call of the Wild Man" while the children went with me to make their "surprise" of banana splits.  They each had their own stations.  I dished up ice cream, the youngest offered fresh strawberries and/or pineapple, another offered to cut up bananas, the third had 3 flavors of syrup, the fourth had 3 kinds of crushed candies, the fifth had miniature marshmallows, the sixth had whipped cream and the last had maraschino cherries to top everything off.  There was a lot of picture taking during this event.  Afterwards the adults went back to stories, TV and laughter as the kids went to the basement to play.  Suffice it to say, all went home satisfied and happy.  We had clean up to do, but it was done with laughter as we went over the day's events.  Then came evening.
Around seven pm my man of the hour was called to work.  It was a simple bottom plate, so I expected him home in an hour.  That was not to be.  Another call came and then another; total of two bottom plates and a water main break.  Normally I am fine with this, though I have a little trouble getting to sleep.  When I tried to go to bed last evening though, I felt a terrible loneliness for my husband.  I started to cry and so decided it was time to pray.  I cried out to God to keep him safe and to bring him home early if possible.  The thought ran through my mind, "but the longer he is out, the more money he makes."  I immediately said, "Lord, I don't care about the money!  If it is possible, would You please make it where he can come home much earlier than he thought?  If not, okay, but I would really like him to come home sooner than 2 or 3 am."  After praying, I determined within myself that now I was going to trust God to do what was very best for us, went in and turned the TV on very softly as I curled up in my husband's chair with his pillow and my little blanket.  I dozed off and woke when I heard a truck.  I figured it was too early, so closed my eyes again only to open them to the door lock being opened.  I jumped up as he walked in the door!  It was 12:45!!  I was so happy to see him!  My heart literally sang praises to God as I told him how much I had missed him.  He looked surprised, but pleased as he hugged me.
I am discovering in these past few studies I've done just how exhilarating it is to choose to trust God and watch Him work.  Not everything goes the way I originally thought it should, but it always turns out to be what is right and best.  Even when I don't see all the results, I can know in my heart of hearts that all is well, because He is control instead of me.  He does so many amazing things and is truly worthy of our exalting His name to all the earth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment