Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fleeing in Order to Pursue

But you, O man of God, flee these things (pride, disputes over words, envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless friction, love of material wealth) and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and gentleness.  I Timothy 4:11

Flee -
Verb (MODERN DAY DEFINITION)
  1. Run away from a place or situation of danger: "a man was shot twice as he fled from five masked youths".
  2. Run away from (someone or something): "he was forced to flee the country".

GREEK - (phuego) to flee away, seek safety by flight

To say that we are to flee pride, disputes over semantics, envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless friction and love of material wealth tells me that these things are more than simple curiosities that could lead to trouble.  Rather it suggests to me that these things are in fact extremely dangerous and must be out to destroy me.  Therefore I must run to safety.  Where is my safety?

My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior-- from violent people you save me.  II Samuel 22:3

I love that this verse tells us that God is the horn of our salvation.  The trumpeter would blow the horn to let the soldiers know where the safe place was in the need of retreat.  They would all turn and flee to that place as the horn was sounding.  God "blows His trumpet" of warning when sin threatens us.  He calls to us to turn and run to Him as our refuge, our shield, stronghold and savior.  So we indeed are to FLEE!!! Flee from sin, but to Him.  Many times we run to others in gossip and anger instead of running to God.  We must remember that He will listen to our complaint with patience, without judgment, without criticism until we are finished.  Then He will gently point us in the way we should go next, how to repair the problem or rest in Him to do the work, guide us to forgiveness and, if necessary, repentance, all the while shielding us from the evil that is trying its very best to overcome, overwhelm and destroy us.

Pursue (MODERN DAY) -

Follow (someone or something) to catch or attack them.

GREEK - Dioko -
to seek after eagerly, earnestly endeavor to acquire

On the other hand, we are to pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience and gentleness.  This tells me that these things are for my good.  They will nourish me and help me grow.  I am not to stand there hoping they will pass by so that I can reach out and grab one of them.  Rather I am to eagerly look for them and when I find them, keep running as I grab and hang onto them for dear life!!
If our child or grandchild were to run towards a busy intersection, we would not stand by watching them do so, hoping they will run past us so we can grab them.  They are too precious to us for that, so we pursue them with diligence and if necessary, throw ourselves on top of them to keep them safe from harm.  This is how we are to relate to our relationship with the Father.  We are to pursue it as precious until we grab hold of it, only we are the ones that will be protected if we do.
18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Deuteronomy 11

If our children and grandchildren are truly as precious to us as we think they are, we will teach them how to flee sin and pursue righteousness as well.  Mentors we are, whether we want to be or not.  People are watching us, trying to learn from us all the time, especially our children and grandchildren.
Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace to all who are watching my life, struggling to learn and to grow into mature individuals.  May my life reflect Your love and wisdom and if I ever lead someone astray, please forgive them and show them the right path.  Should that happen, I ask You to discipline me and make me right with you in that area once again, so I may come boldly to Your throne of grace in faith believing and never do so again.  Help me walk circumspectly before You, always.  In Jesus' precious name I ask this, knowing that whatever we ask in His name and according to Your will will be accomplished through the presence and power of Your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment