Monday, June 24, 2013

Gifted to Serve


I thrive on seeing changes in peoples' lives.  I love to see people grow and learn and grasp new truths.  These are changes I believe necessary and that are fulfilling to me.  There are some changes that I see as nonsensical and therefore rebel against.  The fact that the word desert has been redefined, Pluto being declared a dwarf planet, "friending" being placed in the dictionary, (we already have the word befriend, befriended, befriending so why do we need to alter the word friend?)  needing a different pair of shoes for every single outfit and the need to decorate a house differently every month for a particular holiday and other things I consider unnecessary.  It is not that I find these last two things distasteful.  I'm a woman, so I think it's cute when people wear matching shoes and redecorate all the time, but I cannot find it within myself to rationalize a reason for doing so.  I am VERY particular about words, how they are pronounced and especially how they are used. Therefore, making up new words for the sake of making up new words is frivolous in my opinion.     People have enough words to misuse and abuse, so I say, "Don't give us more!"  (unless there is a new discovery that actually warrants it.)  The money spent on reevaluation of planets and deserts is a total and complete waste of resources in my opinion, and I cannot help but think, "What difference does it really make?  Does it change the course of our future?  Will it bring about cures for diseases?  No, it simply changes wording.  Again, giving people another way to misuse their vocabulary.  And why is it necessary to spend money on evaluating how fast different brands of ketchup flow?  People are going to buy the one they like best anyway!! 
I wrote all of this to show that I am unique....and so is every other person created by God.  If you think those things I mentioned of value and necessary GREAT!  You are not just like me then.  Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all exactly alike?
God has placed in us varying gifts to use in life in order for our personal growth, to help in the growth of other believers and to reach those who do not know Jesus as their personal Savior and Lord.  No matter how many spiritual gift quizzes I take, they are always going to come out that I am mercy motivated and have been given the gift of teaching and shepherding the groups I teach, so I need to develop those gifts and use them for whatever means He reveals to me rather than questioning His wisdom in wanting to use me.
Sometimes we look at others and think how spiritual they seem and how we wish we could be more like them.  What we need to remember is that the person we are seeing in them is actually Jesus in Spirit.  He is the One we should attain to be more like. 
When I read the story of Rees Howell's life and ministry of intercession, I actually prayed and told God I wanted to be more like this great man of God.  I received and immediate response that nearly knocked me over.  I am not exaggerating here.  I actually felt wobbly at how quickly and loudly the words went through me.  "I did not call you to be an intercessor - I called you to teach!"  A feeling of relief went through me as I realized how silly was my anguish over not being like this wonderful man.  I came to understand that there is a difference between interceding for people and being and intercessor.
I wish every true believer would discover the gifts God has given them, put them into practice and stop trying or wishing to be what they were never designed to be.  Imagine the effectiveness of the Church as a whole if we did so.  What if we stopped criticizing other denominations for not being exactly like us in thought and instead worked together to further God's kingdom on earth?  What if we quit trying to do the jobs God has assigned to others and started focusing fully on our own?  How efficient would we become?  How organized?  How dedicated?
Father, awaken Your people to the need to know, understand and use the gifts You have placed within each of us that make us unique for Your service.  Help us take our eyes off each other and focus instead on the work You have placed before us as an individual service.  Make us into a people united by faith, organized by knowledge, servants in wisdom and mercy and dedicated in love and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment