Saturday, June 1, 2013

Make me Quick!!

quick·en  

/ˈkwikən/
Verb
  1. Make or become faster or quicker: "she quickened her pace, desperate to escape"; "I felt my pulse quicken".
  2. Spring to life; become animated: "her interest quickened"; "he looked with quickening curiosity through the smoke".

Synonyms
accelerate - hasten - speed up - precipitate - expedite

Quicken us, and we will call upon Thy name.  Psalm 80:18


Before I could write anything here, I felt led to reread John 3:1-21.  As I did so, I noticed that Nicodemus came to Jesus obviously with a question on his mind.  However, he never asked it.  Why?  Did they leave out part of the conversation?  Possibly, but I rather think that Jesus simply knew what Nicodemus needed and plunged into the answer before the question was asked.  The Father had already quickened His Spirit with what to say to Nicodemus and He said it.  There was no need for the question to be uttered.
Jesus was 100% obedient to His Father's voice. 
The definition of quicken says it all.  Not only does God's Spirit make us feel alive again when he speaks to us, but He makes us quickly capable of doing what He asks of us. 
When I was 12 years old, I heard the flute for the first time in my life.  My heart was lifted up.  I became excited and knew this was an instrument I needed to learn to play.  I had not yet turned my life over to God's control, but knew I would understand one day and do so.  Evidently that is enough for God.  He knows our hearts and our futures and placed a quickening in my spirit to play the flute.  I wanted this so desperately that I didn't follow the instruction of the band director when he told us to start with just the mouth piece and learn to make a sound.  The flute is one of the most difficult instruments to get a pure sound from, but I was determined.  The funny thing is, I had no trouble.  I picked it up, put it together, blew and voila!  I played through the first half of the first book in a week.  This inspired our director to tell the rest of the band that the standard had been set and they needed to pick up the pace to keep up.  I practiced for more than an hour every night (until my parents said to stop and come eat.)  What normally takes three years or more to accomplish, our little band accomplished in a year and a half.  We were moved into the High School top band.  By my sophomore year I was first chair.  I loved (love) the flute!  God not only quickened (sprang to life) my spirit to play the flute, He quickened (hastened) my ability to do so through obedience.
Father God, quicken my spirit to obedience to Yours in every area.  Oh, to be obedient to Your voice at every turn.  Forgive me in my failures and don't give up on me.  Continue to speak and may your servant hear and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment