Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Age of Honor

Bid the older women similarly to be reverent and devout in their deportment as becomes those engaged in sacred service...Titus 2:3a


Some who read this may think, "But I am not an older woman yet, so what is my role?"  My answer is, "You're older than someone."
I believe Paul wrote about the older women because either there was a problem in Titus' church where they were concerned or they simply felt they had no ministry and Paul wanted Titus to encourage them that they most certainly did.
I really like the NIV translation on this verse:  Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God.  It is very straight forward in my opinion.  Every woman should live in a way that honors God.  
The word honor is of great importance.  When we do something that pleases a parent, it makes them smile and hug us perhaps.  They may share it with someone, or they may not.  But when we do something that brings them honor, they're ready to shout it to the world! 
The problem is, things that please us are pretty usual.  When my kids cleaned their rooms it pleased me.  When they ate their dinner without complaint it pleased me.  These things didn't make me burst at my seems though.  However, when they stood up to the crowds and refused to go to under aged drinking parties, told the truth when asked about a wrong doing, asked if they could help me or their dad with a big job, strove to give their very best in different activities, these types of things, things that were above and beyond what was simply expected of them as a human being, these made me not only smile and hug them, they made me want to dance and shout them to the world!!
It is the same with our heavenly Father.  We are to live our lives in a manner that brings honor to His name; that glorifies Him and allows people to get a glimpse of just how wonderful He really is.  I have been known to talk to the kids I teach about how Jesus honored His Father and His reason for doing so.  I believe that Jesus was crying out to a lost and dying world, "LOOK!  I want you to meet my Dad!!  Listen and learn all about Him.  Accept My free gift of dying in your place and you will get to meet Him face to face!!  My Father is so wonderful!!  PLEASE! I want you to meet My Dad!"
Jesus brought honor to His Dad out of his own great love and respect for Him.  It is for this very reason we are to live our lives as such.  "If you love Me, keep My commandments."  John 14:15
Father God, make our hearts one with Yours.  Help us understand what is fully acceptable and pleasing in Your sight and help us walk in a manner that is not only pleasing to You, but that brings You much honor and great joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment