Friday, June 21, 2013

Let's Be Real

When I think back on my youth, I remember thinking how phony girls were in general (myself included at times).  I even spoke this to my guy friends.  Yes, I was one of those who had more guy than girl friends.  I was considered stuck up, boring, and a little on the scary side by the female congregation.  They assumed that I was a narc (someone who tells adults everything wrong everyone else is doing), which I most certainly was not, but the stories flew and I was feared. I admit, I let them think this as it kept me from having to say "no, thank you," when invited to unchaperoned parties, which were prevalent in my youth.  I simply wasn't invited.  So, I cannot sympathize with the niceties women feel they must dish out in conversation when they meet other women.  However, I can sympathize with them when it comes to their reasons for doing so - distrust.  Women tend to be generous with compliments when they first meet due to the fact that they are feeling each other out.  I get that.  I just do things a little differently.  I tend to be quiet and watch how they relate to others.  As soon as I discover they are real people, I will share almost anything they want to know about me with them.  If they are pretenders, then I am cautious.  Why? Because pretenders tend to distort truths to make themselves seem a little more important to others.  The problem is that for those who don't really know the one being talked about, they hurt reputations and then they make themselves look foolish to those who truly do know the other person.  In being cautious, I not only protect the reputation of my household, but keep them from making a big mistake in revealing their dishonesty and insecurities to the world. 
I love the story of Ruth in Scripture for the fact that she and Naomi were so very real.  They did not try to hide the fact that they needed help.  Ruth went boldly out to reap grain.  Reaping was for true widows and orphans who had no one to provide for them.  Ruth was also a hard worker, which I am sure she learned at least partly from Naomi as she had lived with her for so long.  She gleaned all day, only taking short rests for water and food.  Ruth was generous.  She made certain she had more than enough to share with Naomi.  They truly loved each other, which is seen in Naomi telling Ruth she would be remiss if she did not help provide for her by telling her how to proceed with Boaz.  They didn't try to hide the fact that Ruth needed a husband either.  So honest and forthright.  I love it!!!
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such there is no law.   Galatians 22-23
Love comes first and all the rest follow closely.  Ruth and Naomi loved each other and the joy, peace, etc. came naturally between them. 
Lord, let Your love flow through me at all times, in every situation, even when the feeling of needing to scream tries to overtake me.  Help me remember that if I really love You, I will keep Your commandments (John 14:15) which are to "love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength; and to love my neighbor (which You show us through the Good Samaritan is every person) as myself." (Luke 10:27)  Help me also remember that the rest of the fruit of Your Spirit will flow through me much easier when I am walking in love.  Love never fails - I Corinthians 13:8.

No comments:

Post a Comment