Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Shield of Stone

But You, O Lord, are a shield about me.  Psalm 3:3
Several years ago I was driving our van we had at the time.  I was traveling along Richardson Road, but I don't remember where I was headed.  What I do remember is how that vehicle simply quit on me.  Not only did it die, but the power steering went dead, so I had to really work to get it onto the shoulder.  No sooner did I get it there than a police car drove up and stopped behind me.  An officer, and not a very large one, got out of the car and came to my window.  He asked if he could help me.  I told him that if I could just get the van into the parking lot ahead and down a hill, I could call my husband to come get me.  He told me to put the van in neutral.  I did so and he pushed the van, with no hesitation whatsoever, up a slight incline, down the hill and perfectly into a parking spot.  I was amazed at how quickly and smoothly it all went.  I got out of the van and saw a pay phone.  The officer came to me and asked if there was anything else he could do for me.  I thanked him "so much!" and said I would go use the pay phone.  He asked if I were sure.  I said yes, smiled and started to walk toward the phone.  After a few steps I turned back to thank him one more time.  Somehow, in those few steps, he had managed to climb back up the hill, start his car, drive away and be completely out of sight.  No sign of man or car.  I proceeded to call Michael, who immediately left work to get me, but as I waited I could not help but wonder if I had just encountered an angel.  I kept looking at the landscape wondering how in the world he could have gotten away so quickly otherwise.  I intend to ask when I get to heaven.
This event, and several others, has caused me to wonder just how many times God has been my shield and I didn't realize it.  I have been most likely protected too many times to count and will never know about them until I reach my heavenly home.  I look forward to the amazement of that day.
"Lord, open my eyes of understanding.  Help me to recognize Your protection not only in my life, but my family and friends' lives.  Help me remember that You WANT to protect us.  You desire to be our Shield and Defender.  Help us learn to depend on Your resources rather than our own."

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  Psalm 18:2

No comments:

Post a Comment