Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Gift of Grandchildren

This morning I woke at two in the morning.  I was wide awake (I thought! Was I ever wrong!!).  I thought,  "Great.  It's going to be one of those days again."  I tried to go back to sleep and failed.  After a few minutes of tossing, changing pillow position, prayer and feeling more wide awake than ever, I got out of bed and came in to do Bible study.  I turned on my computer to see my name in lights along with Brother Bill's regarding a send off luncheon.  I sent a thank you and let them know I was undeserving.  I was also thinking how unfair it was to others who had left the church for one reason or another.  I was actually feeling rather perturbed for them.  Then it hit me, Brother Bill's wife is named Sherry as well. They DEFINITELY deserve a send off, as they have served this church family the majority of their lives.  How funny is that!!   All frustration and confusion fled and I felt ever so much better!!  I do enjoy making people laugh though, so laugh to your heart's content regarding this one!! 
The verse that hit home with me today in my studies today is the following: 

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him, and children's children are a crown to the aged."  Psalm 127:3

This verse has been my theme all my life.  The first thought triggered in most will be that I am exaggerating; that I really have only felt this way my adult life.  They would be wrong.  From the time I could speak, which was actually very early, I asked for a doll for Christmas.  Each year there was a different doll that was the most important thing on my wish list.  Christmas would not be very joyful to me if I didn't receive that doll.  At one point I had 29 dolls lined up around the edge of my bed.  They were all clothed and fed daily, bathed and redressed for bed at night AND they all slept with me.  This desire for a new doll continued until I was thirteen.  I figured out that I would be considered very strange by my friends if I asked for another at this age.  My dearest friend at that time told me how her mom had gotten rid of their dolls when they were (if I remember correctly) in second grade.  It may have been third.  Anyway, she and her sister were deemed to old to play with dolls.  That is when I decided it was time to stop.  So, I began dreaming of having a real baby of my own one day.  My mom gave birth to my baby sister when I was 11 and my oldest sister had my oldest niece a few years later, another two years after that she had another daughter and so on, having seven children in all.  Meanwhile, my other older sister got married and started having babies as well.  I had plenty with which to keep me entertained and gain practice.  So now you know.  I truly was not exaggerating.  God has given me a love for children that goes way beyond simple motherhood.  Something truly amazing to me is that not only am I drawn to children, but they are drawn to me.  I cannot tell you how many times a child I have never met before has walked up to me and asked for help, or simply wanted to tell me a story or show me something they found interesting.  A few weeks ago I was sitting in McAllisters at lunch and a little boy of around three walked up to me to show me his socks.  They were brightly colored and mismatched.  I told him how cool they were, so he showed me the shoes he had taken off as well.  They were new and he was extremely proud of them.  I looked around.  The restaurant was pretty full, yet he chose me to show his treasures.  My friend who was dining with me was astounded that the parent wasn't keeping very good watch.  I told her that this happens all the time and since I understand how easily a child can slip away from a parent's grasp, I am glad they come to me.  I know I am safe and will get them back to their parents in one piece.
Another time we were in Silver Dollar City.  We were standing in a check out line in one of the shops.  I noticed a young girl of about 11 or 12 and her little brother.  The girl was looking rather fearful and was scouring the shop.  I figured their parents had simply slipped out of view for the moment and they would see them soon enough.  However, when I looked away, the girl came to me, touched my sleeve and asked for help.  They couldn't find their parents.  I took them to the cashier and explained the situation.  She made a call over the park intercom and the parents arrived in a few minutes.  The only reason for this attraction that I can gather is that God has placed a knowing in these children.  They look around, find this lady with a grandmother's heart, recognize it as such and ask for her attention. 
I say all this because today's study is on praying for grandchildren.  Having seven, I know the difference between a grandmother heart and a mom heart.  Moms are swift to react, and end up making wrong judgments in so doing.  They feel stressed with time limits, programs, work and lack of sleep, and sometimes the children get the blunt end of it.  At least this was true of me.  I apologized to my children many times over for being rash in decision making.  Grandmothers tend to weigh the situation, realize that time on earth is short and so do their best to react in a positive fashion in order to bring about positive results.  We choose to laugh at our mistakes, are quick to forgive, and realize that time grows shorter every day, so we need to make the most of the moments we have now.  At least this is how we desire to be.  We are not perfect and we know it.  This makes it easier to laugh at our mistakes, apologize when necessary and forgive at the drop of a hat.  It also places a burden on the grandmother heart to pray fervently for her grandchildren.
Let the little children come to me and forbid them not; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 19:14
The question is asked: What is your greatest desire for your grandchildren that you need to release to God?  My greatest desire for my children, grandchildren, future grandchildren, future great grandchildren and so on, is that they come to know Jesus at an early age, grow in wisdom and stature and favor with God and man and, as they grow, that they fall more in love with Him each and every moment of their lives so that they serve Him with a heart full of gratitude for all He has done for them. 
Notice the verse doesn't say to "bring" the children to Jesus.  It says to "Let them come."  Children have a deep desire to be approved, loved and respected.  Because of this they are automatically drawn to Jesus and His love.  Our job as parents and grandparents is to assure them safe passage in journey.  We are to reveal His love through our lifestyle so they can recognize the path that leads to Him.  We are to share experiences with them, pray with them and guide them, but we are not to force them.  Should we bring them to Sunday School and church?  By all means!  When I say we are not to force them I am talking about not allowing our desire for their personal salvation getting to us and pressuring them to accept Jesus. 
When I was seven, my sweet daddy, who had just accepted Jesus as his own Savior, asked me when I was going to be baptized.  Being very much a daddy's girl, I went forward a few weeks later and told them I wanted to be baptized.  Long story short - I wasn't truly saved until I was sixteen.  We must not allow our enthusiasm for their salvation cause us to make the mistake of deciding for them that they have accepted Jesus.  Instead, we should be a guide for them to Him through our words, our actions, reading the Bible to and in front of them, expounding on it for them, praying with and in front of them and admitting our personal failures to them.  This shows them just how loving and forgiving our Father truly is and will draw them ever closer to Him.
Father, being a parent and/or grandparent is never an easy task.  We desire so much for our children that we tend to overwhelm them rather than guide them.  Forgive us and teach us how to "let" them come to You rather trying to "bring" them to You by force if necessary.  You have given them to us, entrusted their care to us and are always there to forgive us when we blow it.  We cannot thank You enough for this.  Help us to realize what a true blessing these little treasures of children are that You shower us with and help us be the people we need to be in order to lead them to Your loving arms for all eternity.
As a side note: my three year old grandson called me 'mommy" yesterday.  When I looked at him he simply stated, "You are my grand-mommy. so it is okay if I call you mommy."  As I am reminded of this I realize that he is, in his three year old way, letting me know that he trusts me to guide him the way his real mommy would.  What a responsibility!  Grandparents beware.  You are being watched and much is expected of you, not only by the heavenly Father, but by your grandchildren as well!!  I say this with a most grateful heart to be in this position!!

No comments:

Post a Comment