Thursday, August 1, 2013

Children of Malnourishment

Sitting in my big glider crocheting, my stomach growls.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  I am getting hungry.  What do I want to eat?  I have some left over chicken from last night's evening meal.  I could heat that up and make a fresh salad from our garden to go with it.  But then a thought creeps stealthily through my mind.  "There are cream pops in the upstairs freezer."  The words are seductive and send my taste buds reeling in desire.  My heart speaks directly and a bit firmer than before that the chicken and salad are a much healthier choice and will stick with me longer.  The sensual voice returns and lulls me, trying desperately to draw me into its trance.  "The orange flavor mixed with vanilla ice cream is one of your favorites.  It wouldn't hurt this one time to allow yourself a little eating pleasure."  I get up and head for the freezer, while thoughts of how much I deserve the ice cream for all my hard work swirl around in my head.  But then I remember something.  I have a choice.  I can eat the ice cream and regret 20 minutes later when my stomach begins to growl again from being under nourished, or I can simply eat the chicken and salad, which is more preparation, but will stick with me until dinner time.  I eat the chicken......this time.  All too many other times I listen to the seductive voice.True Nourishment
Rise during the night and cry out. Pour out your hearts like water to the Lord. Lift up your hands to him in prayer, pleading for your children, for in every street they are faint with hunger.  Lamentations 2:19
When I read this verse yesterday morning, I immediately thought of all the children in the world being fed the food of "I want" rather than "I need."  I want to play football, or soccer, or basketball, etc. and even thought the games are are Sundays during church, it only lasts for a season.........and then I want to take dance lessons, cheerleading, join a choir, etc. and, yes, they meet on Sundays as well, but it too only lasts a season. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these activities they are great for the body.  They stretch it, work it and build solid muscle throughout it, but they do little to nourish the soul.For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. I Timothy 4:8
I believe God wants us to keep our bodies as healthy as is possible in this day and age, but He is more concerned with our spiritual health. 
It is not only physical, musical or instrumental abilities that can seduce us away from spiritual growth, there is also intellect.  Schools, in order to try and win the educational battle with other nations, pile on homework so deep that children no longer have time to play, let alone spend time with their Creator.
Parents have an honest dilemma.  The world is crying out not only to pull their family into the busy, busy world of activity, but of academia, financial achievement, keeping up with neighbors and peers so their children do not get mistreated, but above all, don't discipline for fear someone will misconstrue and infer that you are an abusive parent.  The end result is that in every street children are faint with hunger....hunger for their Savior, and they don't even realize that they are desperately trying to fill the void with the call of the world.
Father, in this world today we are confused as parents and grandparents.  Things have gotten so very out of hand that we no longer truly know what is best for our children.  We have moments of clarity, but they are brief as the world grows louder and more creative in its approach.  Lord, I pray that You would open the spiritual eyes and hearts of today's Christian parents to see and hear when they are making worldly choices for their children and family.   May their hearts break with the knowledge so that they are drawn back to the true nourishment of spending precious time with their children and spouses, nourishing each other in the things of God and, in so doing,  teach their children to honor You first and foremost in every choice they make, so that they may truly succeed in life.  Help them realize that true success comes from knowing You to the fullest measure.  It not only satisfies the hunger of our hearts, but the malnourishment of our minds and bodies.  Knowing You and continuing to strive to know You better teaches us the answer to every situation that arises in our lives, which blesses all those our lives touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment