Saturday, August 3, 2013

Daily In His Presence

Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way.  Psalm 37:8
I came across this verse yesterday as I did my reading portion for reading through the Bible in a year.  I felt it went handily with this study on prayer, so I jotted it down.  Today I was instructed to read Martha's story in Luke 10:38-42.  God set me up again to be ready for today.  He is simply marvelous my darlings. (If you've never watched the BBC you won't get that joke. Sorry.)
In my early 30s I was asked to lead a women's Bible study in my home.  I did so cheerfully and had fun studying for it and presenting it. Enter pride.  Along came the day I knew the study was ending.  Some folks became involved that wanted to get into areas that bring division, and division came.  That was the final day and it grieved me.  Daily study became weekly and prayer became intermittent for me.  I lost that close fellowship I had had.  I do not blame anyone for this but myself.  It was my choice to allow grief and bitterness a door of opportunity.  This lasted, believe it or not, several years.  I still studied for children's church and Sunday school, but it lacked the depth I needed.  Then one day I cried out to God that I missed Him.  It's amazing at how much more He misses us!!  However, it was my responsibility to dig in and get close to Him again.  He hadn't moved away; I had. 
Being too busy for God is a devious lie Satan employs successfully due to our desire to be successful in not simply an area or two, but in every area we attempt.  He will whisper to us that we will get to a quiet time just as soon as.....we get the house in order, get the kids to their practice and game sessions, get dinner prepared, clean up afterwards, after our daily shower.....and the list grows as he adds more to it.  The marvelous thing about God is that He can take our sacrificial gift of time and give it back to us multiplied several times over.  That seems impossible and is, unless you are God.  Nothing is impossible with Him.  (Luke 1:37) 
One day (I cannot pin point a date for you) I got out my Bible and a devotional and started reading for the joy of it once again.  At first there was little change in me and then one day it hit me that I was gaining new insights once again and I was overjoyed!!  I cried out to God in delight and thanked Him for loving me even though I had, in a sense, turned my back on Him.  Now I delight in God's word once again and seek his face and praise daily.  I lift  up my praise to Him in thanksgiving, for there is no greater place to be than in His presence on a daily basis.  As far as being busy....I'm more busy now than I have ever been in my life and yet I am at peace with it.  I do not feel overwhelmed, nor do I worry myself over the things I do not get accomplished.  I simply pray for God to do the work through me that He desires to have done in each day's time and trust Him to "get 'er done!"  The one thing I pray I never allow to happen again is giving up my daily quiet time with Him.  I am willing to give up many things, like choir and nursery work, but not our quiet time.  When you've been there and walk away, life becomes desperately lonely, fears creep in and the things of the heart are accomplished without joy.
Father, make us a determined people - determined to know You and seek Your face.  It is then, and only then, that we will experience Your free gift of the Fruit of the Holy Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23.  When we are away from You, these things seem a challenge.  When we are in Your presence, they come naturally.  Help us to realize our need.  Then grant us the strength and determined will to "come boldly to Your throne of grace" Hebrews 4:16,  and get to know You more fully in order to have that Fruit multiplied in our lives in order to have some to spare to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment