Friday, August 9, 2013

Never in Vain

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.  I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,  and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength  he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms....Ephesians 1:17-20
This is my daily prayer for my children.  It is difficult at best to look back on my life and realize the mistakes I made as a young mother and wife.  However, in so doing I am able to not only receive forgiveness and forgive myself, but I am also able to share those mistakes with my children in hope of having them steer clear of them in their child rearing.
The one thing I did do and am still doing for them is pray. My children brought me such great joy that this both the least and the greatest thing I can ever do for them.  It is the least in that it is simple, quick and brings me blessing as well.  It is the greatest because there is no one more powerful, more loving, more generous or more anything else ever that is good than our God.  I can go to Him with absolutely anything that is bothering me without fear of being overlooked, condemned, neglected or or rejected.  I know that I am loved more greatly than I could ever dream or imagine.   I also know that anything I pray in accordance with His will and lining up with His word will not be prayed in vain.  Every time I pray in His Spirit according to His will He will answer.  He promises:
"As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."  Isaiah 55:10-11
He gave us His word to use
Too often I purchase things thinking how much easier they will make my life.  Through the years I have wasted more money in this than I care to think about.  Even today I considered purchasing a pedometer to track my steps - again.  I purchased one in the past and found it just yesterday packed away tidily in a box in our basement.  I think I used it twice.  Thankfully, it was one of the less expensive items I've purchased and ended up discarding.  Instead of going through with htis idea, I checked my phone and found a free pedometer app. 
I am ever thankful that God is not like me.  He is truly wise in all things, therefore knows what is very best for me and never forsakes His promises.  If He promises that His word will not return without first accomplishing what it was set forth to accomplish, then it will do what it was meant to do. 
The verses above in Ephesians give us a beautiful example of how God wants us to pray for our children and all those we care about.  Imagine if we would pray scripture over our children daily.  We could pick a verse daily or weekly, etc. and pray it over them for that amount of time, then move on to another verse.  These in Ephesians pretty much cover every area needed, but I like to get down to specifics too.  However, I can think of nothing greater than for my children and grand children to daily know God more fully.  I pray that everyone who reads this will grow in wisdom and understanding of God's great love for them and their family.  In so doing, may they (we) grow a deeper burden to pray the same for our families and loved ones.
Father, pour out Your wisdom and understanding on Your children.  Give us gainful insight into Your ways and Your great love.  Help us then begin to love as You do so that we are burdened to pray according to Your will written in Your word for us as a tool in communication with You.  Deliver us from pride of knowledge and every other sin that besets us and tries to destroy our relationship with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment