Friday, May 17, 2013

Soul Guardian

For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.  I Peter 2:25
As the manager, the overseer, the guardian of our souls, Jesus protectively, lovingly put His arms around us and used His body for the buffer of our lashes. (Debbie Williams)
When I read this it brought tears.  To think that Someone could love me so much as to take verbal abuse, beating unto near death and then die in my place when I know that in and of myself I am not worth one penny, makes me stand in awe, unable to utter more than a convulsive whimper.  Deep anguish floods my being when I think on it.  If I picture the ones I love more than life itself having to go through something like this, it is an unbearable thought magnified by the fact that I would give anything to go through it in their place.  So I can understand this kind of deep and unconditional love, because His love pours through my veins. That is the only reason though.  Self preservation is too strong an emotion otherwise.
There is a book by Tedd Dekker that many have written off as worldy and refuse to read.  I, on the other hand, having a bit of a strong will, determined to read it and am ever so glad I did.  It demonstrates the love of Christ in His willingness to die simply for Love very clearly.  Yes, it is about vampires.  Yes, it is very much fiction, but it is a well written analogy of how true Love not only conquers, but transforms.  It is simply called Emmanuel's Veins.  In the book, the hero becomes the Guardian of mostly one young woman, but in his selflessness, ends up bringing about the transformation of more.
Jesus is the Guardian of His people, but His selfless act opened the door for all to enter.  There is a catch - you have to really want it.  Self-preservation must give itself up to total trust  in the Guardianship of Jesus.  There is nothing safe about this world and all it has to offer, but there is complete and utter safety in Jesus.  Even in death we have victory, because physical death simply leads to new life, new body, new world.  Heaven isn't just heaven to the true believer - it is HOME!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment