Saturday, May 25, 2013

Confession of Dread

Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You I pray.  In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.  Psalm 5:2-3
These words of David really speak to my heart.  He places God as his King first and then his God.  David understood what it meant to be called king.  He knew from first hand experience that being king was not just a really big responsibility, but also gave you complete power over a certain group of people.  So here he is proclaiming before all the world that, though he himself might be considered king over Israel, God is King over all, especially his own heart.  Therefore, it is to God alone he prays and no other.  In simpler words he is saying, "God, You are King and therefore the only God, so I offer my prayers to You alone."
There is more to this though.  Those last couple of words haunt me, "I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch."
Week before last our music minister announced his family was moving back to Louisiana.  Last week our pastor had a massive stroke and passed away Tuesday morning.  Then our music minister's dad passed away as well.  I confess that I looked at all these events and wondered, "So what is going to happen to the church family now?"  My prayers in this particular area were difficult, so I finally just decided to rest and watch what God would do.  Then I read these words and it hit me that my attitude was the block in my prayers.  Rather than watching with eager expectation for God's intervention, I was watching with concern and almost a sense of dread.  As of this morning I choose to seek God's forgiveness, choose faith over questioning and stand firm, trusting that God's plans are greater than anything I could cook up, so I will begin now to watch with great expectations of His miraculous hand at work in our church body.
Lord, pour out Your mercies on Your people and make us strong.  Unite our hearts with Yours.  Make us a people worthy of Your holy name.  In Jesus' precious name I ask it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment