Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Lesson from Aldis

Last night we went to Aldis, a very routine part of our week.  We think nothing of it usually, but I will never think of it the same after last night.  At least I pray that I won't. 
If you've never been there, you need to be made aware that, in order to keep prices down, they do not accept any form of payment but cash or debit.  Once in a while someone tries to use credit and are gently told they cannot.  These people usually have cash or debit  handy and receive their groceries easily enough.  However, there are also those who come in with food stamps and must be told they cannot use them.  This was the case with the people in front of us.  We did not know it at first.  The cashier was doing her best to keep it quiet, but when she saw their tears and how red faced and ashamed they seemed, she took out her own debit card and paid for their groceries.  They thanked her several times over and left.  She turned to us and said, "I'm not supposed to do that, but I just can't stand it.  Sometimes people come in with food stamps and have their perfectly manicured nails and high end fashions on and I know they are not being honest.  But these people you could just  tell."  The cashier behind us turned and said, "You actually had one person pay you back, didn't you?"  She replied, "Yes, and it was so sweet.  They even had a card that said how I had helped make an elderly lady very happy."  I told her it was a real blessing to be able to do as she was doing.  She smiled and said, "Yes, it is!"
I walked away marveling at her generosity.  I wondered if she were a Christian and wanted to go back and talk to her, but she had several customers to deal with still, so I went on.  I prayed for her and asked a special blessing on her for having such a generous heart and asked God to preserve her and her family.  I asked salvation for her household, if they didn't already have it.  I told the Lord that here was a woman truly living as a child of the most high God.
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life."  I Timothy 1:15-16
This precious cashier brought to my remembrance that there are more important matters in this world than material blessings.  There are so many lost and hungry people in this world that need feeding both physically and spiritually and we are to be about the business of making certain they get fed.  Prayer is a most powerful resource for this that we put to use all too rarely.  We need to learn to walk, talk and breathe in prayer.  May we learn to consistently and truly dwell in the Father so that we can minister to the true needs in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment