Monday, December 14, 2015

Be Blessed!!

Last night ended Voices of Christmas.  Weeks of rehearsals and all sorts of preparations culminated in a joyous weariness of work done as well as we knew how, out of hearts wishing to glorify God and lead others to Christ.  It was exhilarating banding together as a worship team.  There were times of frustration, a tiny bit of discord and disagreement, but God took it all and worked in us a unity that prayerfully touched many hearts with the good news of Jesus!!
As I hopped on the shuttle to take me back to my car, I realized I was on a bus full of the Muslim community that had come to see the presentation.  There was one other couple on there who were church members and part of the choir, but about twelve Muslims.  All the seats were taken, but the father of one young boy nudged the boy and told him to stand.  He then instructed another young man to move to the boy's seat and told me to please sit.  I wearily smiled and told them I how very grateful I was.  I immediately felt a glow inside as I looked into each of their faces.  As I sat down, I looked into the eyes of an absolutely beautiful young woman sitting across from me.  I was astounded.  Her eyes lit up and she smiled and my heart melted.  I immediately loved her as a mother loves a daughter.  I know, because I am one.  I did not know until that moment that this was a possibility within myself.  I wanted to compliment her, so I mentioned her beautiful wrap.  It was a camel brown and had some blue and green large plaid woven through it and it complimented her complexion and eyes magnificently.  Anyone who reads this will probably think I am exaggerating, but I know I am not.  She started to answer me, and I wanted to hear her voice, but we were interrupted.  I never did get to hear it, because the shuttle stopped and we were dropped off at our destination.  I regret not staying on and getting to know these generous and hospitable people. 
This morning their faces popped back into my mind.  I saw the face of the father as he instructed his son with an expression that said, "Obey!" but whose voice expressed love.  The son's face that had a mixture of "why me?" and "Oh, all right," that brought a smile of understanding to my lips.  The others that nodded while asking me to please sit down and the beautiful, shining eyes and smile of the girl across from me.  I came that night to sing and bless others, but they blessed me more than even I can understand as the receiver.  For forty one years I have been teaching the importance of a smile and small acts of kindness.  I have practiced these actions most of my life, but I truly experienced them fully for the first time last night.  I am still in awe and pray I remain so and that perhaps I will be a little more observant and receptive of other attempts of kindness to me in the future.  This event has made me wonder just how many I have overlooked in my attempt to be the blesser rather than the blessee, so to speak.
Father, thank You for the lovely family You sent to bless me last night.  You showed me what You see when you look at this nation of a people who are seeking You, but have been enslaved by lies.  They are lovely to behold and I understand Your great love for them.  I feel ugly in comparison, and so stand in awe that You see me the way You allowed me to see them last night.  Keep their faces before my eyes and continue to open the eyes of my heart to the beauty of all Your created people.  I feel as if I have been a Jonah up until now. Restore me, use me, guide me and please continue teaching me daily.  I hunger and thirst for more of You and the more I receive, the more of You I desire.  Thank You for loving me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment