Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Adventurous Prayer

Lord, God, there is such joy in serving You, I admit I do not understand the hesitancy we maintain in doing so.  Yet, I am guilty at times!!  "Pray before you leap," is advice given by many, but I think we should really say, "Pray to find out WHERE we should leap, not if."  If we are always seeking the so-called path of safety, the exhilaration of utter trust, confidence and freedom of restraint can never be experienced.  Waken us, Your children to the gift You have placed inside us of excitement in discovery, thrill of experience, the joy of facing each new day as an opportunity to seek adventure as well as watching and waiting for it to happen!!  We can either choose to seize each day's opportunities or ignore them in order to remain "safe."  Help us remember that this kind of safety is false, only a reflection of the true safety we find walking, running, leaping and shouting with You!!
Last night, as we walked across a virtually empty, dimly lit and fairly vast parking lot while holding hands, I turned to my husband and said, "If I had to walk this lot alone, I would be looking all around me, kind of scared.  But with you beside me, I feel completely safe."  That is how we should experience life with You, Lord.  Yes, this world is vast, dark, empty and filled with traps the enemy has set for us, but You are with us.  You don't just hold our hands.  You wrap Yourself around us to shield us. You walk before us to point out the snares.  You are willing to share with us and take us on adventure after adventure, teaching us, humoring us, creating in us a desire to be more like You even as You fill us more and more with Your Spirit! 
I read the story of a little girl standing at the top of the basement stairs watching her daddy work.  As he turned his back, she yelled, "catch me, Daddy!" and leaped without waiting on him to turn back.  He, of course whirled around and caught her, but admonished her never to do that as he could have dropped her.  Her response should be ours, "No you wouldn't.  You're my daddy!"
May we all become as little children and never fear to leap, as we will always land in Your loving arms!!  May my motto become: Another Day, Another Adventure!! And may I mean it with all my heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment