Saturday, June 14, 2014

Silver and Gold

(John 3:16) For God so loved the world He gave......and He gave, and He gave and He is still giving.  So why then, as His children, do we find it so hard to give generously?
I am not just speaking financially.  Money is the easy route.  Someone's having a birthday?  Give them money and your troubles are over. No need to find out what it is they really want or would enjoy.  Money takes care of it all.  Let them do the work of purchasing their own gift.  Not that giving money is always a lazy way out.  Sometimes it is just the right gift.  Sometimes money is what is not only wanted, but needed.  However, in that case, research must be done to discover the fact that it would be the best gift, so extra giving of self is still involved. 
Self - a person's essential being that distinguishes them from others, especially considered as the object of introspection or reflexive action.  This is another part that makes it hard for us to be generous - introspection.  When we look deep inside ourselves we see something ugly - we don't really want to give. 
Why?  Love is the key; not erotic love or friendly admiration, but that deep abiding love that doesn't look at the outside of a person so it can be critical and judgmental, but that sees the heart and wants to do something for it.  That kind of love sees the wounded look in a person's eyes when something hurtful is said, or the trapped look of the abused, or the hunger in the depths of the lost and unloved.  The kind of love that aches with these who are hurting, cries with those who are grieving and longs to do something about it. 
When we look deep inside ourselves we see a vengeful being who wants to get all it can get from a world that has taken from it all it can.  The god of this world takes and takes and takes, hurts and injures and at times succeeds in actually destroying, which makes us angry, hurt and vengeful.  If we see this within ourselves it scares us.  This keeps us from true introspection and the cycle of selfishness, but, as God's children, desiring to be generous continues.
Today I looked up how our financial status compares to the rest of the world.  Here in America we are considered poor, lower middle class, middle class, upper middle class and rich.  The problem in America is not how the government ranks us, but rather how we rank ourselves.  I discovered that the actual current median range of salary in this country is  a tiny bit over $50,000.  The government therefore wants to describe middle class as being approximately $40,000-$60,000 per year.  Yet any family with children can tell you that if they make less than $60,000 a year, they have trouble making ends meet.  This is partially due to taxes and partially due to the fact that the more we have, the more we want. 
I also looked at how my household ranks in the world financially.  I made a rather startling discovery.  My household is in the top 20% in the world.  In the U.S. we are considered middle class, but the world considers us extremely wealthy.  Shouldn't we then take a closer look at why?  This morning I realized this is one of the unjust scales in my life - I have always considered myself financially one way, when in reality I am extremely wealthy.  It is all about attitude.  I am not saying we should all start giving all our money away to whomever requests it.  God's word tells us to "be gentle as doves, but wise as serpents" (Matthew 10:16) because the world is full of wolves who seek to devour all He has so generously given us.  However, I am saying that when asked to give, we should pray and seek God's will regarding our decision.  Tithing is important - not to God, but for our own benefit.  It is the starting point that teaches us not to worry about money. I discovered this myself when I felt led to take an early retirement.  At first I had a really difficult time paying all the bills.  I was used to paying them and having a little left over, but now I was paying them and barely making it.  I became a little scared.  One day I was sitting in church listening to the sermon when bills started going through my head.  Nausea threatened me, so I turned to Father God and angrily, yet confidently said to Him, "You know what God?  I'm tired of worrying.  You told me to quit my job, so YOU take care of the bills!"  Then I listened to the end of the sermon.  I had missed most of it.  Anyway, we continued tithing, I began trusting (Michael had never worried about it evidently) and I became amazed as the months went by!  Gradually, not only were our bills paid, but suddenly there was an extra $100.  Then we started throwing change in a cup to pay for new kitchen cabinets.  I swear the money multiplied in that cup!  We purchased one cabinet at a time, but within a year of the first purchase, we had them all.  Next we started saving coins for new windows (our house is 42 years old and has had very little done to it up to the time I am speaking of). We now have all the upstairs windows in and the big picture window in the basement.  I could go on and on about how God has provided for us and turned our run down house into an almost completely new one, but suffice it to say, I have become more generous and trusting in the process.  We now give a bit above the tithe and God continues to bless. 
This could be construed as a "give to get" message, but PLEASE do not take it that way!  I do not believe that to be scriptural in the least.  We must give out of love and trust or our gift will be fruitless.  We give to make a difference and to bless our heavenly Father.  Any other reason for giving is simply selfishness: either done to raise self esteem and image, or trying to force God's hand to give something to us in return.  The point I desire to make is that we can never out give God!!  He has already given us the ultimate gift in His Son Jesus Christ.  We need nothing more than Him.  However, the more love we demonstrate for God, the more He will demonstrate His for us to us.  In what manner He chooses to demonstrate it should be left up to Him.  Just as we don't want someone telling us how to use our possessions, we should not try to dictate to God how He should use His!!  He may choose to show me His love by NOT giving me what I desire, because it would develop more selfishness in me.  If that be the case, then I don't really want it!! 
Lord, life in this world makes it very difficult to not have unjust balances.  The enemy has a way of manipulating the truth of Your word to turn it into a lie of murderous proportions, but that appears to be an intelligent choice.  In actuality, if we are not very careful to seek Your wisdom regarding it, it can destroy us, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, financially and in ways we don't even realize until it happens.  Pour out Your wisdom on Your children, O God!!  We need it in order to live lives worthy of Your calling!  Grant us understanding and teach us contentment.  Help us learn to be grateful for all You have given and desire to give us if we will simply seek You out and trust You!!   And help us remember that it is not financial blessing that is greatest - but wisdom and understanding!!
How much better to get wisdom than gold! To get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver. Proverbs 16:16 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment