Friday, July 19, 2013

Peace, Be Still....

What today is the most important thing God would have me do with my life?  I am waiting to know.  Should I be still and wait?  Inwardly, yes, but outwardly I will continue doing my every day chores.  As I wait, I pray that my heart may be still within me listening, always listening, for that still small voice that would guide me in the direction I should take next.  He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
  Psalm 46:10
I am getting ready to begin a new journey in prayer.  During this time I want to be as still in my heart as is possible in this loud, raucous world we live in.  This means my mouth will be more silent than usual and my thoughts will be focused on praising Him - at least this is my hope.  I am going to fast the words of my mouth, so to speak.  This does not mean I won't speak at all, it simply means I will do my best to speak when necessary only.  Women have a tendency to want to talk much and often.  It is difficult for us to learn to quiet our thoughts and mouths, so I begin deeper training in doing so.
There is much contention in the Church (and I mean this as the entire body of Christ) in this era.  This should not be so.  It has always been difficult for me to have to stand by and watch people in disagreement.  My heart cries out to each individual to admit they could possibly be wrong, agree to disagree and get back to work.  That is the mercy motivation within me.  I realize that others are motivated differently than I, so I have been learning (the hard way) to keep my mouth shut.  On occasion I have forgotten the importance of keeping it closed and have caused further disturbance.  Today, I have determined to stay out of other people's disagreements (except through prayer for them)  and focus on God's desire for my contribution in serving Him.  The hardest part in doing so is knowing that odds are in favor of others being drawn into these debates who have no business being there.  I must be obedient to Christ though and allow Him to take charge of these battles.  The most extraordinary thing is, if someone reads this and thinks I am writing about them, they will automatically want to discuss it with me.  So I want to make certain to inform anyone reading this that I am not talking about any particular disagreement, but Christ's body as a whole not being in unity.  Therefore, as I fast my words, quiet my heart and listen for His voice, I will be praying for God to open the minds and hearts of his people to see that division within causes repulsion without.  May we all learn to do as God's word teaches, beginning with me:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Philippians 4:8 

So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.  Romans 14:19
Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.  But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.  II Timothy 2:22-23

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment