Tuesday, July 2, 2013

On Being a Mentoring Mentee

I have a wonderful mentor - my mother-in-law.  I told her once that I considered her my mentor and she just smiled, shook her head and said, "Oh.............." She is a very wise woman.  She has had to be in order to rear six children.  I have no doubt that she cried out many times for wisdom, because God has given her much!!  I am able to go to her with concerns and she never judges.  I can tell her how I am feeling and she can explain why I feel that way.  I could go on and on about how wonderful she is and how very much I love her.  I am tremendously blessed to have her in my life.  I wish every woman had someone like her to go to.  There are times it is simply comforting to be in her presence saying nothing.  Her silence can speak volumes and her generosity knows no bounds.  She exemplifies what mentoring is all about without even trying.
I admit that being asked to be a mentor can be a little scary.  Being responsible in helping someone to grow in their personal walk with the Lord means that when you make a mistake, you have to own up to it and apologize.  When I first started teaching children in Sunday School, I was sixteen and didn't even really think about it.  They were preschoolers, so what did they know?  As I grew older and a bit wiser in God's word, I realized that I was being diligently observed by these small people and they were absorbing all I said and did at a much quicker pace than adults ever could.  Children latch on to those they love and want to be like them.  Then I read the verse in James that told me "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more severely than others."  James 3:1 and became more than a little frightened.  Why did I accept the calling to teach if I was going to have a much stricter lifestyle than those around me.  However, through the years I discovered that, not only do I absolutely love to study and teach what I have learned, but I welcome the discipline of my heavenly Father.  It demonstrates His great love for me in that He desires me to be the best I can be, especially in order to benefit those around me who are watching my life.  "For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child."  Hebrews 12:6
I have also learned that when my heart desires to become more for His glory, He is more than able to comply and give me all the tools I need to serve Him in that capacity.
Lord, help us to refuse to walk in fear when You ask us to take on a particular responsibility.  Help us remember that You would never ask without giving us everything we need to accomplish the task and that You will be with us every step of the way.
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment