Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Whine or Win?

So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude He had, and be ready to suffer too.  For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin.  You won't spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God.  I Peter 4:1-2  (NLT)
I have a day from eight years ago etched in my memory.  I had my oldest grandson with me and was happy to be taking him to Dollar Tree to let him pick out something just for fun.  I actually was allowing him to pick out a few things since he had chosen a store that was so inexpensive.  We walked in with laughter and anticipation.  He picked out three things and I picked up some wrapping paper and a couple of other odds and ends I needed for Sunday school.  When we reached the check out, I looked in my purse to discover I had just enough cash.  The cashier began ringing up our purchases when my grandson noticed another object he wanted.  He asked for it, but I explained that I didn't have enough cash to get another item, but if he wanted to put something back we could get it.  He first started to whine.  I looked at him and told him that I would not put up with whining.  He needed to choose what he wanted, but if he choose to get upset and demand his way, he would get nothing.  He began to wail and holler that he wanted everything including the extra item.  I gave him one more warning, that if he didn't stop he would get nothing.  He looked at me for a second and started in again.  I smiled at the cashier and asked him to remove the three items from my purchase.  He did so without comment, I paid and we left.  My grandson pretended to be dumbfounded that I didn't get him anything.  I reminded him that I had given him a few chances that he had refused and told him to remember this next time I took him to the store.  A few weeks later the two of us were at Walmart.  He asked for a Hotwheel.  I agreed.  He then asked if he could get something else (a much more expensive item) and I explained I didn't have the money for it.  He started to whine.  I got down on his level, looked him in the eyes and asked, "Do you really want to go there?"  He stopped and we bought the Hotwheel.  He never gave me trouble in the store again and we have been many times over.
I am sure that the experience in Dollar Tree seemed pretty traumatic to my, at that time, five year old grandson, but it saved him from suffering in that area with me ever again.  We have been able to go shopping without embarrassment for either of us ever since.  Where did I learn to discipline like that?  By experiencing it for myself as a child.  My momma and daddy would never put up with whining.  At that day and time there was one warning and then you were not only denied what you wanted, you were taken out to the car by one parent and the hand of discipline was applied to your bottom.  You then remained there until the other parent came out.  It didn't take more than once then either, for most children anyway.  There are some who are so hard headed they allow their fleshly will to gain strength through these types of fits over and over again, hoping that things will change.  If a parent is wise and truly loves their child more than they do themselves, they will not give in, because they will want what is best for their child - unselfishness.
God is or parent and wants what is best for us, so sometimes He allows us to suffer in our flesh in order to discipline us for the future.  This is not to say that every illness, natural disaster, etc. is a means of discipline, though sometimes He may choose to use it as such, but rather that He may deny us something we really wish for because our attitude is in the wrong place.  If we would search our own hearts and discipline our own flesh, God would watch with great joy as His children mature and become more mature.  It is when we choose to follow our flesh that He must do the discipline for us and we should be grateful for it.  It means He loves us more than Himself, which He proved through Jesus, and is willing to do whatever it takes to bring us to Himself and rescue us from a life filled with misery.
Father, thank You for stepping in and disciplining us when needed.  It is through discipline that You sanctify and guard our spirits. Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit , soul and body be preserved (watched over and guarded) blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. I Thessalonians 4:23 (NIV) Guard our hearts by continually watching over us and protecting us through Your love and discipleship.

No comments:

Post a Comment