Saturday, February 8, 2014

Flute Fruit

And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Galatians 5:24 (ESV)

Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.John 12:24 (ESV)

My sixth grade year I was given a music listening test and scored very high on it.  Because of this, a note was sent to my parents asking them if it were possible for me to join band in what was then called Junior High School.  My parents were excited and took me to the band display mentioned in the letter.  High school students there were demonstrating the different types of instruments for those in attendance.  If you saw one you wanted to learn to play, you would walk up and register.  They would then set you up with Nottleman Music and you could purchase said instrument by renting with the option to purchase.  I remember sitting there, not paying any real attention to what was being said, when a girl with long sandy colored hair walked up with a long, thin silver instrument in her hand.  She lifted it to her lips and played.  The most beautiful music I thought I had ever heard came from that instrument.  I was instantly in love with the idea of learning to play this thing called a flute.  I became quite excited and Daddy noticed.  When a child goes from virtually a walking sleep to bouncing while swinging their legs, you know something is up!  Daddy asked if I liked that one.  I think my eyes must have been sparkling from tears of excitement as I told him a definite yes.  He grinned, took my hand walked me to the table for Nottlemans and put an immediate downpayment on my first flute. 
Long story short - I learned to play flute fairly proficiently within my first year due to practicing for literally hours every day.  I lived to play flute!!  The amazing thing about this was our band director told the rest of the Junior High band that I had set the bar.  They needed to keep up with me....and they did!  By the middle of our eighth grade year we were all moved up into the high school band. The following year I was moved up to first chair second flute.  The following year I became first chair first flute and was expected to play every solo.
I could go on, because I still love playing flute, but the point is, after high school I had no outlet for my music and so quit practicing.  I had set aside my dream of playing in the St. Louis symphony to rear a family.  I do not regret that decision in the least.  I knew and know it was what God desired of me.
Move ahead almost twenty years.  I joined the church orchestra.  I picked up my flute for the virtually the first time in all those years and hated how I sounded and how slow my fingers had become.  I had to practice!!  Not much time in the day to do so, but I managed to work and get most of my skill back.  I definitely was no longer first chair material, but continued working until one day I was asked to move to second chair so that I could do the solos when the first chair person was absent.  During this time I discovered that being given a solo to practice made me make more time to work on my performance.  I got better and better.  When I became first chair (due to my friend moving to another church) God laid it on my heart to start sharing solos.  I started asking all the flutes if any of them wanted a particular solo.  At first they were hesitant, but eventually they started speaking up.  Because of this, we ALL improved.  I was amazed, tickled with God's wisdom, and excited that I had learned such a great lesson - laying down my desires for the sake of others bears much fruit.
Father, thank You for Your wisdom in all things.  My wisdom told me to work hard to be the best for my glory.  Your wisdom says to be the best I can be for Christ's sake and glory.  I must be willing to let those who think themselves "not as good" to see (or hear) my mistakes.  It also means to recognize that it is much more beneficial to encourage others to grow than to watch them continue where they are presently.  In so doing, we help make the entire unit, in this case the flute section, stronger and more proficient.  Thank You for showing me that using our talents does not mean showing them off, but using them to increase Your kingdom.  You are most awesome!!


No comments:

Post a Comment