Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Gift

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of life is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23 (NIV)

Natural disasters, acts of God, whatever you call them, they bring grief.  The question arises, "Why does God allow such things?"  There was a time when I was confused by this question.  I had no clue how to answer.  In my heart I knew God is good and that everything that happens has a reason, but I had no definite answer.  I knew that the earth was cursed at the fall, which is what the root of the problem is. However, to say that to someone simply angers them.  So how to answer? 
We chose (choose) disobedience, rebellion, sin, yet we don't want to have to accept the consequences of that choice.  When I was a child my mom had this typewriter that intrigued me to no end.  When we were told that no one was to touch that typewriter, because she needed it in good working order when it came time to use it for a writing class she was taking, it simply made it all the more intriguing.  One day I felt like I just couldn't help myself.  I took the lid off and marveled over it's black and silver trimmed keys.  I gently pressed them to see what would happen.  I watched carefully to make sure that if I pressed one letter another didn't pop up.  I didn't depress them all the way - that would have made noise and I would have been caught in the act.  I was very cautious to do no harm to this precious commodity.  I knew it had cost my daddy a lot of money that we really didn't have, so I had to be very careful.  I went to put the lid back on and became terrified!  It wouldn't go on right!!  No matter what I did, put the back on first - won't close!!  Put the front on first - won't close!!  I finally just put it on the best I could, put it back where it belonged and ran away from it.
A couple of days later, Momma got out that typewriter and became VERY angry!!  She asked who had been playing with it and of course we all denied it.  Well, I actually sat there silently saying nothing, eyes wide and terrified.  I reasoned that I wasn't lying as long as I kept my mouth shut and head from shaking no.  About three days later, I remember we were getting out of the car, possibly getting home from church, and I started bawling.  Momma took me in her arms and asked what the problem was.  I was crying so hard I couldn't speak without those little gasps.  I told her it was me that played with her typewriter.  She looked at me, wiped away my tears and said, "I know sweetheart.  I knew all along, but I wanted you to tell me."  She then told me that the typewriter was fine - I hadn't hurt it (which was my greatest fear) and that she forgave me.  She even thanked me for telling the truth.  I learned at a very young age (I think I was about 5) from this experience that it is better to tell the truth and face the consequences.  Holding on to the guilt is much more devastating.
Small thing?  So is eating a piece of fruit when you've been told not to, but it can bring dire consequences.  If I had damaged that typewriter, my dad would have forked out much more money to have it repaired, and believe me when I say - we didn't have it.  Momma and Daddy would have met our needs, but given up their own in order to fix things for us.
When Adam (they didn't become Adam AND Eve until after the fall) ate of the fruit it was major, because it was the ONLY rule and they chose to break it.  Then they chose to NOT admit guilt, but pass it on to each other and to God Himself.  He had every right to wipe them out right then and there.  His design of a perfect world for us to dwell in with Him had been destroyed through our disobedience and we blamed Him.  We brought about a cursed world through sin and we still blame God.  Why does He allow this?  Because we invited it in!!  However, just as Momma did with the typewriter, He picks us up, wipes away our tears and tells us all is well, just look to Jesus.  He gave up Himself, through the person of His Son, to death because of His great love for us.  The curse is broken, but will not be destroyed until Jesus returns.  Jesus paid the price of death for our sin   All you need do is " because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."  Romans 10:9  (ESV) No ifs, ands, or buts to it.  Praise God for His great love and goodness!
Look to the day of His return and rejoice, for the curse will then be utterly destroyed and we shall then spend a perfect eternity with the true love of our life - Father God, Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit (Who began dwelling with us the moment we received Jesus as Savior and Lord)!!   Look up!!  Victory is but a breath away!!
Father, we still want to blame You for everything, even to the point of denying Your existence.  We never want to look inwardly at the true problem of self, because we may not like what we see.  May not? We KNOW we won't and don't like it.  We try to cover it up with raising our "self" esteem.  That just gets us in deeper.  We need to really look deep within ourselves so we come to the place of grief over who we have become without You and run back to You in hope of being accepted and cleansed. When we do that, we make the amazing discovery of Your unconditional love.  It is You that makes us feel worthy, not self.  You welcome us, guide us, teach us, discipline us - what it comes down to is - You do all the work and then pat us on the back and say, "Well done My good and faithful servant."  Forgive us for our arrogance and thank You for loving us.

No comments:

Post a Comment