Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sickening, But Necessary

As I sit here and think about child abuse, my stomach starts churning and I wonder, "How in the world could anyone give in to such abhorrent behavior?"  Once the question is asked, there is no going back.  God always answers.  His answer to me was a gentle reminder that we are all children to Him regardless of our age, so no matter who it is being abused, in His eyes they are children.  He has had to speak this to my heart many times over in my life, because somehow I cannot seem to remember it.  When I hear a parent yell at their child for throwing a fit, I become critical and judgmental, wanting to get in their face and tell them, "He/she is just a child!"  However, the abuse they are suffering from their child's belligerence is a form of verbal abuse as well.  I am just as guilty as the next person and need to be reminded often.
Because we are all children, I can understand that God sees abuse of adults in the same manner He sees it regarding children.  It was His child that went to the cross, and I helped put Him there.  Each time I sin I am being abusive to Jesus.  Hard to think about - extremely hard.  However,  this is one of those things I need reminding of in order to be made sick to my stomach over and over again, just as I need to have a little pain to remind me that I am not fully recovered from surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment