Friday, July 27, 2012

A Drink of Water

I made a big mistake this morning.  I forgot to get a drink of water before I went out to walk.  Walking two miles first thing in the morning when you are already dehydrated from sleeping seven or eight hours is not a good idea, to say the least.  Around the third lap I began to feel thirsty.  By the fifth lap I was feeling rather light headed.  By the final round I was definitely ready to go inside and get a drink.  The funny thing is, that's not the first thing I did.  I sat down and took off my shoes, looked at the time and went in to turn off the alarm first.  It was on my way to the alarm that I remembered my thirst.  I turned it off so that it didn't go off and went and filled a glass and drank it all.  I felt much better afterward.  I looked at the clock again and went in to waken Michael.
What struck me about this was the fact that I felt so VERY thirsty while walking, but as soon as I got back inside I didn't feel so badly anymore.  I neglected my thirst even longer due to the fact that I stopped thinking about it.
This is the way our spiritual lives tend to go, is it not?   We waken with a fresh new day before us, but if we are not careful to be deliberate, we do not take the time (though extremely brief it is) to say a simple "thank You" to the Lord for giving us another day and another opportunity to serve.  We start our day with "busyness" and continue throughout it wondering where the time went and wishing we had accomplished more for our efforts. 
I don't know about anyone else, but my personal experience tells me that if I will take a moment to read a chapter of Scripture and pray, I accomplish more in one day than I will in three days of trying to do things in my own strength.  Spending time with my heavenly Father refreshes my spirit.  I even manage to get in a nap on those days.  I admit it is usually a power nap of ten to twenty minutes, but it is extremely refreshing.  I do not understand why I fall into the get up and get going routine some days, rather than making each day one that starts with the refreshing drink of God's Word and communication with Him.  How grateful I am to Him for giving me a new day each morning to begin again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment