Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Drought

This morning I was taking my usual walk when I ran across a toad in the road.  I looked closely.  He was flattened out, but plump, so I decided he must be sleeping.  I nudged him with my foot, trying to get him to get out of the road so he wouldn't get squished.  He barely moved.  Must have been really sleepy.  I nudged him again and he sat up straight, but he refused to budge.  I decided to continue my walk and talk to God about him.  I said, "Lord, would make that toad want to move out of the road?"
I felt rather than heard, "He is stubborn."  I told God that I really didn't want the toad to be killed as I have a soft spot for them. (We have a toad that comes back every spring to sit on our porch each night.  We tell everyone we have a guard toad instead of guard dog.)  However, I knew that he had to accept the fact that he would be smashed if he didn't move and if he didn't come to understand it soon enough, he would be killed.  The next time I passed him I deliberately spilled cold water on him.  That helped wake him up, but he enjoyed it and refused to move.  I tried to nudge him once more and then gave up and just asked God to protect him.  God must have done so as there is no flat toad in the road!
As I continued my walk I noticed the dry grass and said, "We are in a drought, Lord.  Well, technically it's not a drought, because we have had a little bit of rain, just not enough to do much good."  What God spoke to my heart next made me want to cry.  God speaks in ways that give instant understanding at times rather than in actual sentences, but this is what I understood:
"My people are stubborn like the toad.  They are comfortable where they are and don't want to budge from it.  They are in a type of drought and don't even realize it.  They go to church on Sundays and get just enough of the Word to water their thirsty souls for an instant and then they go right back to the dried up way of living."
I thought about how I hunger for God's Word and thirst to hear more from Him, but don't get nearly enough. I want to hear His voice all the time, but I get so caught up in the day to day dry living that I am unable to hear out of my own stubbornness to take more time to be with Him.  How long does it take to read a chapter of the Bible - perhaps 5 minutes or so (unless its Psalm 119).  How long does it take to tell God good morning and invite Him into my day? 
I told God that I don't want to live in a drought and asked Him to forgive me.  My hearts desire is for God's children to become aware of the drought, but then to do something about it.  The land doesn't have a choice regarding how much rain it receives, but we do.  All we have to do is set aside a little time.  We can't say we don't have any - for we have all eternity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment