Monday, July 16, 2012

The Garden of the Heart

A lot can take place while walking two miles each morning, as anyone who reads this has probably already guessed.  As I walked this morning, I was reading the book simply entitled The Priest, by Francine Rivers.  The book is about Aaron, brother of Moses and his life experiences during the great exodus from Egypt.  These books on those considered great men and women of the Bible that she has written bring the people to life again and help me remember that they were simply human beings, much like myself.
Many times I have read the Old Testament Scriptures and wondered how the Israelites were so easily turned from God when they were seeing His power on such a consistent basis.  I realize they were human and didn't have the gift of the Holy Spirit indwelling them as true believers do today, but they physically witnessed His presence and power!!  I was thinking along these lines once again this morning when the thought went through my head, "Lord, this is really hard walking today.  I am feeling really tired.  Can I quit early?" 
Rather than giving me a "yes" or "no" answer, this thought went through my mind, "Be thankful you have legs that carry you and a body that responds to your brains directions."
I immediately thought of the Israelites and told God I was sorry and just as bad as they were, even worse!!  I do have the Holy Spirit indwelling me and still I complain!!  I apologized and thanked God for reminding me how blessed I really am.  I thanked Him for strength and legs to carry me in my walking.  I thanked Him that walking brings health and fitness to my body so I can serve Him more fully.  I thanked Him for a brain that functions and nerves that respond to make my body do what needs doing.  Then I asked Him to continue disciplining me in this area.
I realized as I talked with Him that I have a problem.  I receive direction in one area and start following through, while allowing another area begin to falter.  He has to take me back and forth to keep me from failing all together.  I asked Him then for help with this.  I cannot do it on my own.  His strength is the only strength that allows me to function at all, so I must depend on Him to guard the garden of my heart in the areas He has already tended.  His Holy Spirit acts on my behalf to keep the critters from coming in and destroying the fruit I am to bear.  Talking with Him, confessing my faults and studying His word so I can know more is the only way to have a successful crop production.  So each morning I go back to the garden.....
"I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses.
And the Voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me and He talks with me,
and He tells me I am His own.
And the joy we share as we tarry there
none other has ever know."
I pray that all who read this, if they don't do so already, begin to go to their garden each morning and allow Him to weed, hoe, water and pour His light on you, so your garden can produce the best fruit possible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment