Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Free in Christ Indeed

The sin nature compels us to love ourselves.  In our reckless pursuit of self-gratification, we impose upon ourselves gnawing emptiness rather than the joy and contentment that comes from loving God and others.  (Randy Alcorn)
We were created to love and be loved.  Sin caused a disfigurement of understanding in this area.  Instead of simply accepting the love God has to offer, we have it in our twisted soul that since we have done nothing to earn that love, it cannot be bestowed on us.  We have to make ourselves acceptable; become prettier/more handsome, stronger, gain/lose weight, gain more knowledge, have more money/things, just BE MORE than what/who we are.  We don't stop to think that God created us as we are with nothing to our name.  We came into the world helpless, weak, ignorant, money/thing-less, and looking like every other baby.  We expect to be fed, kept warm and loved.  Babies are 100% totally trusting.  Why?  My theory is that they just came from God, so it's all they have experienced thus far.  As we grow, the world's influence gets hold of our sin nature and conforms it to its own image in order to block out God's image, in which we were created , from our view.  "Out of sight, out of mind;"  we now expect hatred and rejection unless we do something to earn the good stuff.  If no one else will love us, then we must love ourselves.  If we cannot love ourselves, then why live?  Satan's handiwork becomes so vivid - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; John 10:10a (NIV).  First he steals from us the image we were born to bear - God - by worldly influence of having to earn love, then he kills us by thoughts that life isn't worth living and all the work we were created to do is destroyed as we are no longer around to do it, whether through our actual death or the death of our spirit through the decision that life means nothing.  I am so VERY thankful that John 10:10 goes on to say "But I (Jesus) have come that they might have life, and have it to the full!!"  I am loved whether I think I am or not, whether I deserve it or not, whether I feel it or not.  God loves ME - of all people who are most unworthy - ME!  In and of myself I am arrogant, prideful, lustful, murderous, hateful, and any other ugly word you want to throw out there - yes, it's true.  BUT it is ALSO true that because of Jesus' sacrificial payment on the cross for all those things, I am now set FREE of them!!  They still throw themselves at me and try to attach themselves to me from time to time, but Jesus' death and resurrection set me free and I refuse to be encumbered by them ever again!!  They may grab me round the throat and make me feel as if I will choke to death, but through the life giving power of prayer I will survive and they will be cast off, even if it means I need leave this earth in order for it to be accomplished.  Either way, stay or go, I am free!! 
Thank You, Lord, for Your grace and forbearance toward me. I know that I can be arrogant, prideful, snotty, boastful, greedy and so many other things, yet You continue to love me.  Each time I ponder Your great love, I become overwhelmed by its magnificence.  You, in Your perfection, looked at me, knew what I would be like and chose to create me anyway.  You have given me a life that many only dream about; a husband who loves, provides for and protects me; parents who took the time from their busy lives to introduce me to You and who lived their lives in such a manner as to reveal who You are and how You love unconditionally; three children who are wonderful, caring and a joy to my heart; grandchildren to keep me young at heart and love me even when I mess up and whom I love beyond measure.  Most of all, You gave me Jesus.  There is nothing and no one greater.  I think of the song we sang Sunday morning:
There is no one higher, no one greater, no one like our God.
There is none more able, Christ our Savior, great and glorious!
I stand, with arms high and heart abandoned, in awe of the One who gave it all.
I stand my soul Lord to You surrendered.  All I am is Yours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment