Thursday, January 9, 2014

Diligent to Rest

For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as did God did from His. (Genesis 2:2-3) Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience (the Israelites refusal to enter the Promised Land for fear of the giants there - Numbers 14).  Hebrews 4:10-11 (NKJV)
Recently I took a couple of online Bible classes through online universities.  While taking them I felt an unrest in my spirit.  This confused me.  I spoke with Father God about it, pointing out that I was doing this to glorify Him, so why was I so ill at ease regarding it?  I have been pondering this off and on ever since I finished off with them.  They were very easy classes as far as testing was concerned, and I didn't understand how they were actually benefiting me in knowledge.  I could easily take the tests and score 100% on anything covering scripture.  That is not to brag...I have simply read through the Bible several times and have taught children in Sunday School for 39+ years, have taught a few adult studies and so have had little choice but to learn what God's word has to say, not to mention the fact that I simply love to study. The only questions I had any difficulty with had to do with theologians, current and past.  Remembering names that don't belong to children is not my strong suit.  So I asked, "What is wrong, God?  Am I taking the wrong classes?  I have to take these in order to go on with the more in-depth stuff.  Should I continue or stop?"  I finally came to the conclusion that, at least for the time being, I should quit.  The problem is, if you wait too long to start up again, they want you to take those same classes over. 
Today I was reading about entering God's rest when God gently started speaking to my soul.  You see, in order to remain in God's rest; that place of knowing that we know we are doing what we are supposed to be doing and relaxing in knowing He will accomplish His will in us because of it, we have to not only be obedient to His voice, but ONLY be obedient to HIS voice.  Being wishy washy and thinking we have to please everyone we love and care about doesn't cut it.  We are to love Him above all others. This means we are to be obedient to Him above all others. 
There is a mindset in this world we live in that says you are nothing if you don't have an education.  By this it is meant that you need a college and, in the Christian world, a seminary degree.  It is getting to the point in many cases that you need more - a masters at least and preferably a doctorate.   Being raised in a family that holds education in high esteem (as do I), I have always had it in the back of my mind that I NEEDED a college education.  The world's view has done nothing but encourage this line of thought in me.  I have also had several others tell me I should get a degree in Biblical studies since I was called to teach.  This further enhanced the drive to do so.  It may sound as if I am looking for someone to blame for my discontent in the courses I took, but I only have myself to blame.  I listened to every voice except the One I should have sought out in the first place. 
As I studied this morning I came to understand that taking those courses was a means of raising my own self esteem.  Others would see me differently, at least in my imagination.  Taking classes in order to prove I can and succeed admirably in them would help people realize I am not simply someone who wants to teach, but someone called by God to do so!  I could not have been more wrong in my attitude.  Okay, I suppose there are worse case scenarios, but my eyes were opened to the fact that my motives were wrong.  I tried to cover them with the notion that taking the classes honored God, but in reality, it was so they could honor me.  This is not easily confessed, for I also come from an educationally prideful background.  However, my desire to be set free has finally grown larger than the desire to hide behind pride.
Since stopping the classes I have been able to read and study my Bible and hear God's voice again and feel rested.  I hope anyone who reads this can identify with that rest.  There is a peace that overcomes you and says, "All is well.  Keep doing what you are doing and I will guide you."  Not only a peace, but a sense of security and so much more. I now understand why the writer of Hebrews says, "Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest..."  He says "us" because he realizes that he too has to watch and be diligent to enter that rest daily, even moment by moment, because it is all too easy to allow the cares of this world to pull us out and into the world of unrest.
Father, I thank You that You graciously allow me to enter Your rest every day, and that even when I allow myself to be pulled back into the restlessness of this world, You wait with open arms to draw me back.  Thank You for the daily hugs from Your word that wrap around me like an electric blanket and warm me to the very marrow of my bones.  Help to to not only hear Your voice, but obey.  In Jesus' name I ask it.

No comments:

Post a Comment