Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Face to Face

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that he, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.  Hebrews 2:9 (NKJV)
This morning I wondered about the crown placed on Jesus' head as He hung on the cross for me.  It was placed on His head out of hatred, jealousy and fear, but was there a reason other than that for which it was necessary? 
When I read this verse, it hit me that perhaps God allowed this as a means of shouting to the world that Jesus is indeed King, even over death. 
I remember my children growing into toddlers and realizing there was a way they could personally turn the TV on and off.  It was one of those "Look what I can do!!" moments in their little lives.  When your child does something like this, you praise them....at first.  Then it becomes annoying, because they want to do it all the time.  Right in the middle of your favorite program, a little hand pops up and pushes that button!!  Why? They feel like it gives them power over the TV and a little over the adult in charge....gets their attention at any rate. 
I'm sure the soldiers felt a power surge as they placed that crown of thorns on Jesus head and laughed, because they didn't understand that He could have reached up and taken it off at any time, and there would be nothing they could do about it. Just as an adult can pick up a toddler and put them in a playpen to keep them from turning the TV off and on, the Lord of the universe could have taken the crown off and walked away as they watched and it would be as if they were in a giant playpen, able to see out, but able to DO nothing about it.  However, He chose to keep the crown on His head in order to taste death for everyone.
I am still that toddler, in many ways.  I am growing in my spirit, hopefully gaining in wisdom and understanding in order to live my life in a manner that pleases my Father.  Even as my physical body grows older and prepares for physical death, my spiritual person grows more mature to prepare for eternal life!!  It is my prayer that my spiritual person continues to mature while I remain on this earth, otherwise it will shrivel up as if in old age.   My spirit does not age, but it does grow stronger, wiser, better, "if" I continue to cuddle up next to my Father and seek His face.  If I don't, it shrivels and becomes weak and defeated.
Sometimes I like to envision myself sitting in God's lap and looking towards His face.  Though I cannot see it, I know it is there and that that has to be enough for now, but one day......
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.  For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. I Corinthians 13:11-12 (NIV)
To see and know Father God fully - what more could I ask?  I must wait and be patient, but it is so exciting!!  No wonder Jesus was willing to die, not just so I could live eternally, but so I could meet His Dad!!  It takes my breath away to think about it!!  I know Jesus loves me extremely or He wouldn't have gone to the cross for me, but I can't help believing that His joy in us getting to know His Father was at least partially what kept Him there. 
For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2b (NIV)
He is sitting there next to the Father, and when I get there, I imagine Him standing and saying, "Great job!! Come see my Dad!!"  Some may think such imaginings frivolous and unnecessary.  Perhaps for some, but they help keep me personally focused on the true prize - life eternal with God in full - Father, Son and Holy Spirit!!
Father, I thank You for imagination.  Without it I would be unable to envision a future; a future with You at its core.  Without imagination we cannot dream and if we cannot dream, we give up all hope.
Where there is no vision, the people cast off restraint; But he that keepeth the law, happy is he.  Proverbs 29:18  (ASV)
Without it we cannot invent, write stories, develop crafts or move forward.  You have given us a great gift in imagination, yet many times we are afraid to use it.  We are afraid of where it might take us, afraid it may consume us with desire. Oh Lord, may it consume me as my heart lifts itself to dream of You.  May it take me to places only You can reveal to me, so that fear is driven out and replaced with faith, hope and love.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13:13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment