Thursday, April 18, 2013

How?

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” 39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”  Luke 22:36-39
God the Father said no to the Son, Jesus.  So why am I discouraged when He says no to me?
For some reason it has always been simply acceptable to me that God sometimes tells me no about some things.  I knew that His yeses were always much greater in number than the nos, so a no now and then was all right.  But to actually grasp that God said no to Jesus puts things in a different perspective indeed.  I deserve nos.  Jesus did not.  I ask for things out of selfish ambition, self-preoccupation, self-glorification, etc., but all involving self when I am told no.  It is a wonder that I am not told no more often than I am.  But Jesus?.....and even more amazingly, He accepted the no with a gracious attitude.   
The phrasing of His question is even gracious.  He doesn't demand anything.  He humbly asks that if there is any other possible way to redeem mankind and all creation and if so, could They use it?  Jesus knows the answer before the question is asked, I believe, but the horror of being beaten, spat on, cursed at, whipped with a flesh tearing cat-o-nine-tails, robbed of His clothing and thus being shamed through being made bare in front of His family and friends, having sin dumped on Him when He had never even thought a sinful thought and knowing His Father would not be there to alleviate any of it or complete redemption could not take place was  more than His flesh could bear without crying out in agony.  And so He did, sweating drops of blood His agony was so great.  And His Father cried with Him.  The Scriptures don't literally say the Father cried, but I have no doubt He did, and then He sent angels to comfort Jesus.  Why send angels instead of coming Himself?  I can only answer why from my perspective.  If it were me and I knew all God knows, I could not come down myself or I would decide to forget mankind and take my Son, who had never done anything ever to displease me, home! 
How could a loving God......is a question that is constantly being thrown at the Christian.  The answer is, "How could He not?"
Only He knows why things must happen the way they must.  If I must suffer and die so that 5 people can come to know Christ and live eternally with Him, then I must.  Our problem is not with God's lack of love.  It is with our own lack thereof. 
Father, teach us to love as You do. It is ever so difficult for us to understand how great your love really is, but we desire to try.  Begin a great work in Your children and make us of one accord in Your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment