Friday, April 19, 2013

Boastful Praise

Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.  Psalm 106:1
 
Praise  - from the root Hebrew word halal - a verb - shine, to flash forth light, boast 
This is the most common word for praise used in Scripture (used 122 times in the Old Testament).
I wondered for a brief moment after reading this, why would God want us to boast about Him?
After all, love is not boastful or proud - I Corinthians 13:4
As I briefly pondered this, it registered in my brain that He desires our praise not for His own need to feel lifted up, but because we need to remember Who He is, what He has done for us and all that he is going to do for us. 

I had to admit to myself that I have not been very consistent in this.  Consistent?  I didn't even realize the true need for it until today. I simply thought praise was something we should do in gratitude and love. Today I see things differently and a little more clearly.  I should praise out of love and gratitude, but also to remind myself that no matter how grim things seem, God is busy and will work all things together for good if I trust Him.  Praise helps me remember to trust.  "God is all loving, all powerful, all knowing and is with me wherever I go.  Why should I feel dismay?  He is Healer, Deliverer, Great Shepherd, King of Kings and so much more, so lift up, O head of mine, and see the glory of His salvation!!"
I absolutely love to sing and play His praises.  It lifts my spirit more than I can tell, but now I understand the real reason why.  It isn't that my praise to Him causes Him to want to manifest Himself any more than ever before, but that I am reminding myself of how wonderful He is by boasting about Him to myself.  As I remember, I rejoice.  As I rejoice, I open my spirit to receive more of Him - I become vulnerable before Him, allowing Him complete access to my soul.  The walls of fear and pride come tumbling down and He enters to release the captives of love, joy, peace, patience....all the fruit of the Spirit!  At that moment in time I am truly free and my spirit soars!!

So I will boast of my Lord and Savior to any who will listen in hope that their spirits too will be made free in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment