Saturday, April 20, 2013

Confession is good for the Soul - Mine Anyway

Unconfessed sin runs rampant throughout the Christian church.  There are several reasons for this: We don't pray regularly; we tend to focus on problems rather than Jesus, therefore we do not praise regularly; we are stubborn and refuse to admit we are just as guilty as the next guy and one more that I think is often overlooked - we want people to think well of us, including God.
Each of these contains a lie that the evil one loves when we swallow it. 
Lie number one - we don't pray regularly because we don't have time.  Truth - if we prayed regularly, we would find we don't have time NOT to do so.  I know from first hand experience just how true this is.  When I spend time with Father God in Bible study and prayer, I am able to accomplish much more than when i do not.  My mind is more focused.  I have more energy.  I am happier.  When I don't, everything seems a burden.  I am tired, hazy and the simplest interruption seems phenomenal.  That may sound like an exaggeration, but it is not.  I recently found myself answering the door to a very sweet faced young woman, who smiled cheerfully and said she was just visiting everyone in the neighborhood because she grew up here.  While I didn't bite her head off, I only gave a half smile as I explained she was interrupting preschool with the kids and that I needed to get back.  As soon as I closed the door, these words went through my mind: "You just missed out on a blessing."  I knew immediately that I had sinned and went to God in prayer asking forgiveness for being inhospitable and unloving. 
Lie number two - You need to get through this problem so you can spend more time with God.  Truth - You need to spend more time with God so you can get through this problem.  I am learning just how vital this truth really is.  Not long ago I accidentally overheard a conversation where one of my children told another that they couldn't find one of my grandchildren.  I immediately felt as if I would throw up and knew that if I didn't get on my knees in prayer I would begin to imagine worse case scenarios and become depressed until I received word the child was found.  I went in and confessed my fears to God, told Him how I felt I couldn't bear the loss of a grandchild, but wanted His perfect will in my life and the lives of my children. I told Him that I would serve Him no matter what, and I meant it, though it grieved me to think about what I was really saying.  Just a moment or two after I prayed, the phone rang to inform me the little one had been found with a group of friends.  Relief and gratitude flooded my being and I praised God once again.
Lie number three - I am better than others, because I do not murder, rape, tell devious lies, gossip viciously, etc.  Truth - One sin, and we all have many more than that, makes us sinners.  Not only that, if it were us having to live their life, how do we know we wouldn't do exactly as they have done?  Life is confusing enough for the Christian.  Imagine how confusing it is to those who have no real hope.  We may have better circumstances than they, but we do not really know what we would be like otherwise.
Lie number 4 - I have to keep up a good front in order to win people over to Christianity.  Truth - I need to be open and honest in order to win people to Christ Jesus.  When we try to pretend we are perfect, the world sees right through us and calls us hypocrites.  When we let them see that, even though we sin, God loves us and wants us just as He wants them, then they start wondering if this could possibly be true and they watch.  If we live our lives open and honestly they start wanting what we have - hope in Jesus.  Everyone wants to be accepted for who they are, including all the rough spots.  Pretending to be perfect makes them think they have to be perfect first.  Being real helps them realize they can be accepted just as they are.
Lord, forgive us.  We are just ignorant children in many ways, trying to prove our worthiness.  Forgive us.  Help us admit that we are not and cannot be worthy without Jesus.  May we live our lives openly and honestly that others may see and understand that they too can be counted worthy if they accept Your free gift of salvation through Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment