Sunday, August 12, 2012

On Having a Name

In all the ways he could not escape his private pain...in those very same ways he now found himself more attuned to those around him.  He was not alone, if only because living brought countless circles of hope and disappointment to everyone...Find life, live it, dream big.  All good.  But there was danger along the way.  A person could also lose their wings, their dreams, their love, their song.  But what could you do?  Run away in fear; live life half dead, like the Nameless?  (The Song of Unmaking, pg 134)
As I read this something stirred in me - I have a name!!  Most people think, "Yeah, me too.  Lot's of them.  Mom, Grandma, Aunt, Wife, Daughter, my given name, etc." But I have a real name!!  It's a name that means who I really am and was created to be.  A name that means I belong somewhere, where that somewhere is located and Whom it is I belong to! 
Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.Revelation 2:17
 Jesus said of a good shepherd, "The sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out." Then he told the disciples, "I am the Good Shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." John 10:3
You may wonder why this is so exciting to me.  A while back I ran into a family friend who is not only five years older than I, but hadn't seen me since I was 15 years old and I was then about 48.   She called out my name to get my attention.  I looked up, thought for a moment, was temporarily blank until she said her first name.  I squealed and ran to embrace her.  We had been next door neighbors all those years ago.  Her mother and mine had been best friends.  She and my oldest sister had been best friends.  I was at their house and she at ours regularly, but I didn't think I was being paid much attention to, because I was so much younger.  But, she knew me!!  What's more, even after 39 years, I knew her!  However, she knew me better.  
I am always amazed when someone recognizes me from years past, and it happens often.  Students I taught in Sunday School, Children's Church or worked with at Sherwood Elementary come and ask if I remember them.  I may not remember names, but I always remember eyes.  I am able to say so and they then refresh my memory with their names.  I can then tell them something I remember that made them special to my heart, which each and every one of them was and is. 
God remembers every tiny detail of my life, except for the sins I have committed.  He forgave them the moment I accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord.  He then cast them as far as the east is from the west.  It was that moment I heard Him call my name, though He had been calling it since the moment of my conception.  He never stopped calling, and since that day I actually listened, I have never stopped responding.  There are times that I ignore Him, because I am still human and therefore not perfect, but I hear Him and eventually turn to Him in repentance and listen to what He has to say.
I praise God that I am not half dead and nameless, but fully alive unto Christ and He calls me by name.  He is calling your name too.  Listen closely and you will hear Him.  It is your choice to respond and be named among the children of God or ignore Him and dwell among the nameless.  I pray you choose rightly.  After all:
A good name is to be more desired than great wealth, Favor is better than silver and gold.  Proverbs 22:1

No comments:

Post a Comment