Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oceans and Streams

Luke 6:47-48 "Whoever comes to me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock.  And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock."
I am surprised at how blind I can be.  I have heard this story from as long back as I can remember, which is quite far, since my mom tells me some of the stuff I remember was from before I turned two years old, yet I never noticed what it was really saying.  Sure, I know that it is talking about setting our foundation or faith on Jesus Christ, but I always pictured the house being built by the ocean, so that when storms came, the ocean rose and tried to flood the house.  This is what the pictures I colored as a child depicted regarding this as well, so I must not be the only one who saw this in their mind's eye.  However, that is not what it says.  It says, "the stream" rather than the ocean.
This morning as I read this, it hit me that the problems the evil one throws at us feel like a violent storm, with waves crashing in from all sides.  It seems like an ocean of problems.  The truth though is that they are but streams in comparison to the oceans of God's power and might.  His power is the ocean; Satan's is but a stream.  When we turn our hearts to Him in prayer, we have all the resources of that ocean waiting for us to access them through faith believing. 
So when the storms of life come pressing in Father, help me remember Who is the ocean and who is the stream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment