Friday, November 7, 2014

Clinging to Joy - Final Chapter

I wrote in the first chapter of this journey that God had prepared me in several ways for this incredible event, but I left one very personal and loving portion out.  It wasn't deliberate, but I am glad it happened.  The day before my husband went into the hospital I had been studying for my Sunday School class of kindergartners.  I had learned an Israeli song called Dayenu (Die-A'-New) when my 5 year old grandson and I were learning about Passover.  Dayenu simply means "it would have been enough" and is about how God is all sufficient.  I wanted to find a simple video of children singing the song so I could show it to the kids and get them exited about singing it.  What I actually found was adults singing a new version of the song which made it a declaration of God's love for us in Christ Jesus.  The funny part of this is that the only reason I found theis is because I had misspelled the word.  When I type in the correct spelling, exactly what I was looking for comes up. Funny, but I can no longer seem to find it.   Anyway, I decided to watch and listen.  It was beautiful.  It talks about Christ's sacrifice being all sufficient to our needs and the peace and deliverance He brings to us when we accept His free gift of salvation.  As I sat in the hospital room, this song kept running through my mind.  It calmed my heart, wiped away fear and helped me feel God's presence and love in a way I had never experienced before.  My first week back (last Sunday) I did indeed teach the song to the children as I told them how much God loves them and wants what is best for them.  I gave them wrapping paper tubes cut into 12" sections to use as rhythm sticks.  When class was over and parents began picking them up, they got out their "sticks" and began singing Dayenu without any prompting.  My co-teacher looked at me amazed and said, "They remember it!!"  It was such a blessing!
The last thing I want to write about is the blessing of watching my husband do his best to minister laughter and gratitude to the doctors and nurses.  Even when his pain was at his worst, he was thanking them and apologizing for inconveniences.  I had more than one of them come to me and tell me, "We are supposed to be ministering to him, but he has been ministering to us!!"  The Sunday after the surgery we wanted to live stream our church service, but Adobe has decided to no longer support Androids, so we couldn't make it work.  One of the nurses he had touched came in with a hospital computer and set us up so we could watch!!  Others, who were nurses on the fourth floor where he was originally, came to visit him on the third floor to make sure he was doing well.  One was so touched she gave him a kiss on the forehead as a thank you.  As I witnessed all this, my heart was softened to want to do something special for all these wonderful, caring people.  I told God that if it was His will to place the desire on my husband's heart as well.  The next day he told me he wanted to do something....Send an Edible Arrangement to each floor.  We checked with the shift assignment nurse (a family friend) and she told us they were allowed to accept this and gave us the information we needed to send them. 
Everyone who has come to see us, including the in home care nurses, have all made the same comment, "You don't look like a patient."  No, he looks like a happy, healthy man, who loves and is greatly loved by his heavenly Father!!
Thanks for "listening" and allowing me to share my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment