Saturday, November 8, 2014

Along for the Ride

This morning I asked myself what I would say if someone asked me to describe my relationship with God.  I immediately thought of the blog I wrote on leg clinging.  Yep, that's what I'd tell about.  When I was a youth of sixteen, I cried out to God to be rescued from the consequences of my sin (The payment for sin is death, but the gift that God freely gives is everlasting life found in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23 Jubilee Bible 2000)  at that moment I grabbed on to His leg for dear life...and He let me.
There is more than one reason I cling to His leg.  First of all, when I am scared, He wraps His robes around me and I can hide there and know I am safe.
There are times when things become too scary for me.  During those times He reaches down, pries my arms loose and snuggles me in His arms, allowing me to bury my head in His chest as I pour my heart out to Him in prayer, which is simply talking and listening to God.  He always listens and comforts me with His love and wisdom, then, as I allow His love to flow through me and am strengthened by it, He lifts me up and places me back in my favorite spot...clinging to His leg.  You see, if He didn't do that, I would most likely become too weak from fear.  The possibility is too great that I might slip off.  He would grab me, just as Jesus grabbed Peter when he began to sink in the waves (Matthew 14:22-33), but He'd really rather I didn't slip in the first place...and so would I.
Another reason is that it is fun.  As He walks, jogs or runs, I get the thrill of going along for the ride.  Let's face it, I'm a ride-a-holic.  I love the thrill of a fast and twisty roller coaster.  The faster, more twists and turns, height and, yes, the upside down loops, the better!!  I love the thrill of swinging.  The higher and more lift and thrust, the better.  Silver Dollar City has the Giant Barn Swing.  I could ride that thing for hours and even take a nap on it if they would let me!!
I love the spinning rides as well!!  Take me high and spin me around and I am excited, joyful and thrilled!!  There used to be a ride called Chaos.  It started you out like a merry-go-round, but then it began dipping.  It took you faster and faster until at just the right moment you could feel the locks on the seats release and you began to spin forward and did a complete flip over and over again!!  Yeah, I loved that ride as well!  When it broke and they could no longer gets parts for it, I was really saddened.  
Anyway, riding and holding on to Jesus' leg is a lot like those rides.  Sometimes we just swing and I am so relaxed I feel like I am floating.  Other times we simply move at such a fast pace that I lean back to feel the wind in my hair and I laugh in utter joy at all the miracles I see passing before me.  Then there are those times that I experience the joy of the twists, turns and upside downs.  He reveals something new to me in His word and my breath is taken away as I spin from the exhilaration!!  Yes, clinging to Jesus' leg is a greater thrill than any ride that ever has or ever will be invented.  I think He gave people the idea for the rides so they could experience what life with Him can be like.  Yes, it can be scary, but the thrill of knowing that you know He will always be there to grab hold of you if you begin to slip makes it every bit worth it!!
Then there are the quiet times when He stands still and allows me to simply observe what is going on in the world around me.  These are the times my heart begins to break as I see people of all ages being abused and murdered, hearts turning black against their Creator, people allowing the cares of this world keep them from experiencing all the different aspects of clinging to Jesus.  It is at these moments that He scoops me up and reassures me that He is still in control.  Yes, there is pain and destruction in the world, but it is because mankind has unwittingly at times and sometimes wittingly asked for it.  He has warned us over and over in His word that if we turn and cling to sin, the evil one (Satan) will take full advantage and use it to destroy us.  But over and over again man has chosen the lusts of this world over Him and in so doing, have chosen to suffer.  (John 10:10) I bury my face in His shoulder and cry.  The song "The Warrior is a Child" runs through my head and I ask, "How much longer God?"  The answer is always the same, "Soon."  Then He gently places me back in my preferred spot and takes off, sometimes at a walk, sometimes at a trot and sometimes...much to my great joy....at a full out run!!  How He can do this with so many clinging children I do not know, but He does it!!  And He has never failed me, nor will He ever!!
It is my hope and joy to think that someone might read this and decide to jump on with me!!  If you prefer, He will let you grab His neck instead.  As long as you hold on there you will always feel safe.  But if you enjoy the thrill of the ride, grab onto His leg with me!!  There's enough room, I guarantee!!  Whichever you choose, don't wait.  Grab on now and hold on for dear life!  What a thrill!!  What a joy!!  What a delight!!  the very best part is this...It will go on for eternity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment