Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ode to Joy

Sitting still in God's presence for a moment, an hour or however long cannot be mistaken for any other experience in life. There is nothing quite like it and it is never the same twice.
Yesterday I sat in awe of the God who loves me. My spirit soared at the things I was shown and I think I was grinning for the rest of the day. Today I thought my heart would break. I sat and cried and poured my heart out to God as I watched in my mind as child after small child was beheaded by ISIS.
Not only that, but the crying faces of the other innocent children being forced to watch made my heart wrench in agony. My stomach knotted and I grieved as if they were my own grandchildren.
Up until today it has been far off in another land, and though sad, was nothing I had to do more than pray about. Today I must do more. So I asked God what I can do. I can pray AND give. I can give to the one Christian organization I know about that is fighting in the front lines to stop this monstrosity (ISIS)– the ACLJ (American Center for Law and Justice).
Some would say here that God is mean and/or evil to allow these horrors to take place. It is quite easy to do as it takes blame off man, which is what we really want. Blaming God is a facade. We know in our heart of hearts that man is the sinner and full of evil until and unless he turns his heart and life over to the One who gave His life in our place so that sacrifices could end. God was not just redeeming mankind through Jesus, but all creation.
For God in all his fullness
was pleased to live in Christ,
and through him God reconciled
everything to himself.
He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth
by means of Christ’s blood on the cross. Colossians 1:19-20 (NLT)
Animal sacrifices could cease. God does not desire the sacrifice of life in any form. He only ordained animal sacrifice as a means to redeem mankind until the day of Jesus. Then all blood sacrifice would come to an end as the ultimate sacrifice would be given.
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. Psalm 51:6 (NLT)
And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices. Hebrews 10:18 (NIV)
And indeed that sacrifice was made at the cost of God becoming man and offering Himself in our place. (Colossians 1:19 above)
Jesus gave his life for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live. Galatians 1:4 (NLT)
As hard as it is to admit, Jesus died for those who are members of ISIS as much as He did for me. we must differentiate between the individuals and the organization.  It is easy to be swept up into an organization, even one you don't really want to be part of.  Just watch a fight on the playground.  Children who would never desire to hurt another can be found in the crowd chanting, all in order to "fit in." God loves those who have joined ISIS and wants to see them set free. So I did something I never dreamed possible. I prayed for them; that they would begin to actually see the atrocities they were committing; see the innocence and trust in the eyes and hearts of the children and how it was being ripped from their beings. I asked that in seeing they might repent and get on their faces before God in understanding of the sacrifice of Jesus that has already been made and that they no longer have to fight for. I asked for forgiveness – for them and for me for hating them.
Father, it is very difficult to love our enemies, but not impossible, for You have instructed us to do so. (Matthew 5:44) You have made this possible by dwelling in Your children through Your Holy Spirit. He gives us the strength to do so. May Your children come to the realization that in hating those who belong to ISIS, we are murderers ourselves. (I John 3:15) Help us to remember that we do not fight against flesh and blood, but against powers, principalities and rulers of the air. (Ephesians 6:12) Help us to remember the words of Your man David from so many years ago: Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we will trust in the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 (NIV) Help us to live the words found in I John 3:18 [My] Little children, let us not love in word, neither with the tongue; but in deed and truth. May our prayers be filled with truth, our tongues speak words of peace and our actions be overflowing in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment