Friday, August 29, 2014

Be Still and Know....

This morning, early: Me: "God I need a Bible Study to go by.  I am floundering." God: "Go online to free online printable Bible studies."  So I did.  What I find truly amazing is how specific God can be.  He wasn't just telling me to type those words into the address, but to actually go to the site called "Online printable Bible Studies - Thoughts about God."
As I scrolled down the list of studies, my eyes fell on one entitled "Be Still, My Daughter."
I felt drawn to it, so I clicked.  Fully expecting a study that would last a week at least, I was really surprised that it was a simple devotion...but what a devotion.  It was exactly what I needed.  I read the whole thing in less than two minutes, including the list of verses given.
One paragraph really hit home and I quote: As I sat there trying to catch my breath, it hit me. "This is what your life is like. You're wrapped up in getting things accomplished, even good things, and you're relying on your flesh and power most of the time for insignificant victories, all the while missing what's important."
At the end of the study a challenge of spending 15 minutes alone in the quiet with God was given.  I jumped at this, went downstairs and out into my flowers in the backyard.  I knew that I knew I was supposed to read the book of Ruth.  I prayed as John Piper did years ago, "Lord, help me read slowly, understand what You want me to know and grant me wisdom."
God always goes above and beyond what we ask.  As I sat there, fully expecting to hear from my heavenly Father, an astounding thing happened.  A hummingbird (I love hummingbirds) flew right next to me and hovered not five feet away.  At one point it flew very close, so close I ducked a bit.  As I did so, the bird stopped in its place, about two feet from my face  and looked at me for about three seconds, as if it were trying to decide if I were anything to be bothered about, then flew off. Three seconds may seem fleeting, but when you are looking into the eye of a hummingbird, it seems like a forever moment.  A thrill ran down my spine at the joy I was experiencing.  I could see every detail of that bird.  I believe it was a female, as its colors were duller than usual, yet I could see the emerald greens of its wings and ruby reds of its throat, the white  collar it sported and the black head.  I think I noticed more about that hummingbird in a breath than I have noticed about them in a lifetime, and I have actually been privileged to have my husband save one stuck in our garage and hold it in front of me as it gained back its breath.  That time I was too caught up in the excitement of knowing he had actually caught one and was holding it open palmed before me.  The little thing seemed to sense he would not hurt it.  It just sat there until he finally decided to give it some help and tossed it up.  It flew high into the sky and away.  Today was better.  This hummingbird seemed to come to me to check me out.  What a thrill!!  I stopped and thanked God for that wonderful blessing of sharing a heartbeat with a hummingbird.  I could feel God whispering that this is the kind of thing that happens when we just get still before Him.
I went back to reading Ruth and these words jumped out at me: And when she rose up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not...Ruth 2:15
God wants to pour out his understanding and wisdom on us (James 1:5  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (NIV))
In this little verse hidden in the book of Ruth I discovered God directing me to glean ONLY in His fields and not simply to glean, but to go deep into the fields of learning and understanding in order to gain wisdom that only comes from Him.
This invitation is extended to all of us, but so often we are are content to glean not only in God's fields, but the fields of the world as well.  We figure that a little bit here and there won't hurt us, and wasn't it Paul that said all things were allowed? (Yes, but he also said not all things are profitable.)  I know I will be tempted and sometimes give in to my flesh and step foot in a wrong field, either out of ignorance, thinking I am in the right place or deliberately in rebellion.  I don't like to admit this about myself, but my flesh is so very much weaker than my spirit.  I am extremely grateful to know that my Father will always be there to point the way back to His fields where I will begin to glean again until the day I boldly walk into the actual sheaves and allow myself to be enveloped there by His word.
This gives new meaning to the song:
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves.
We shall come rejoicing bringing in the sheaves.
Rejoicing indeed!!
Father, thank You for this invitation to know You better.  Thank You for guiding my steps today to spend time simply being quiet before we.  We are trained from early childhood that we need to be busy all the time or we are being lazy.  Lord, help us remember the story of Martha and Mary and all the cautioning of the Psalms to "Be still" so we can know You are God.  I thank You too that You will not rest until You have completed all Your good work in me that You have planned for me from the beginning.  I love You Lord!!

No comments:

Post a Comment