Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Our Sovereign God

God's Sovereignty and It's Reach ...  I long ago had to deal with this topic when we experienced a church splitting over differences of opinion regarding it.  Some were saying that because God is sovereign, everything we do is His hand forcing us to do so.  Others said that we have complete freedom in everything we choose to do and that God simply takes what we do and uses it for good.  Both of these sides completely disregarded the others ideas and a split took place.  It was a very frustrating experience, because I believed neither way was completely true.  I saw truth on both sides, danger on both sides and was powerless to stop what happened. 
Being a person who takes Scripture as it is and accepts it even when it upsets my little world to do so, I have to agree with this statement: "We delude ourselves when we think we have ultimate control over our lives.  We imagine that God should let us have our way.  And when He doesn't, we resent Him." 
However, I also do not believe God forces me to make every little decision.  He couldn't possibly.  Why?  Because sometimes I make sinful decisions and God would not force me to sin.
"And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, 'God is tempting me.' God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. James 1:13 
He might allow it, though not always, but He would never force my hand to do so.  He does, however, know in advance that I am going to do so and therefore uses that negative choice to bring about good in my (undeserving though I am) or someone else's life.
When suffering we get it into our heads that no one is suffering as we are; no one has it as badly as we do; no one knows what we are going through and every bit of it is a lie from the evil one.  If we would step back and simply look around us for a moment, we would find hundreds of thousands of people in worse shape than we are.  Then, if we would refuse to give in to the temptation of self-pity, but rather turn to God for the comfort He so longs to give, not only would we receive said comfort, but it would be greater than we ever imagined possible, as we would begin to realize that He went through it all before us, agonizing over the fact that we were going to have to experience the problem in the first place.  We are His children and He loves us as such. Therefore how He must grieve over the poor decisions He knows we will make, the hazards Satan will throw in our path that we will be wounded with - but ultimately grow from, the resentment we will fling at Him (God) even though everything He does and/or allows is for our ultimate good.  Who is hurting more?  If a parent has gone through a child involved in drugs and having to watch them suffer in prison or some other form of detention, they know that though their child is suffering physical agony and they grieve over the fact with tears, moaning, aching from the inside out, that that very physical suffering is the only thing that may save their child from permanent destruction, so they allow it.
We, as human beings, suffer from addiction to sin.  It is a drug.  It makes us temporarily feel good about ourselves or relieves some sort of stress for a very temporary time.  God knows every addiction and what it needs in order for us to be set free.  Should we condemn Him for wanting what is very best for us?  So if I must suffer in some manner in order for good to take place, then so be it, whether it be for sin in my own life or to set someone else free.
I went through my worst suffering ever almost two years ago.  I felt as if I were dying inside.  I would rather have been literally beaten to death than what I was feeling at the time.  I am not being facetious, or even exaggerating about my feelings.  I even asked to be beaten to get it over with, but was told no.  But I tell you now, that was one of the greatest blessings I could have ever experienced.  God used it to bring about more good and freedom in my life than I ever thought possible.  Would I have known it was coming would I have avoided it?  Yes!!  And guess what?  I would have given up the great wonder in life that I am experiencing right now. Therefore, I am utterly grateful that it came as a complete surprise.  Did I enjoy it?  Not in the least, but I am enjoying the results of it immensely!!
God loves you and me.  It may not feel like it at times, but love is not a feeling, it is a decision, otherwise we would all go to hell.  God decided before He created us, knowing we would give in to sin and temptation, that He was going to love us regardless and lay down His own life that we might experience His life for ourselves.  A grand life it is too.  It is full of suffering, grief, turmoil, distress, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  The best part is that at the end of our time here on this earth: "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."  I Corinthians 13:13
All the negative will be gone while faith, hope and love remain to guard our hearts for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment