Thursday, October 27, 2016

Being Dead (an oxymoron)

I am dead.
I have to keep reminding myself of that.  If I don't, I begin to feel sorry for myself.

My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 NLT
 Living in Christ is the only way that leads to true happiness.  
A few days ago it hit me that in complaining about how tired I am and how I have so many things to do I am making an accusation against God.  So I reminded myself - I am dead.  Then I told God I was sorry for being selfish and told Him, "Thank You for giving me a body that at 58 can still do the work You have assigned.  Thank You that my mind is still alert and thinks clearly.  Thank You for work to do, because otherwise You would be finished with me and I would be useless."
Today I read this: Whatsoever is good for God's children they shall have it; for all is theirs to help them towards heaven; therefore if poverty be good they shall have it; if disgrace or crosses be good they shall have them; for all is ours to promote our greatest prosperity. - Richard Sibbes.  Afterwards, those three short words "I am dead" came to mind again and I was refreshed.  Being dead allows me to forgive those who would misconstrue my words or actions and turn them into a lie.  Being dead allows me the freedom to become a new creature in Christ Jesus.  Being dead allows me to love with unconditional love, because my personal feelings no longer matter.  In other words, being dead allows Christ to live in me. When others wish me dead, I can smile, because their wish has been granted.  
Being dead in Christ is what we are.  Our flesh hungers for regeneration and tries to achieve it on its own through works.  We must continue to remind ourselves that we are dead and unable to resurrect ourselves, but Christ in us will do it for us at His return.  God is love and love is patient.  Let us live in Him and remain patient for His work to be completed in us on that great and glorious day when heaven and earth will become new and become one and we are given back our bodies in perfect form to live in perfect unity with each other and with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment