Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Servant or SERVANT?

"Absorb this", my soul says.  "God says, 'It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant ... I will also make You a light of the nations, so that My salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.'" Isaiah 49:6
As I read this, I realize that God is speaking to Jesus before His incarnation, yet Jesus asked the Father to make us one with Himself and the Father through His Spirit.  (John 17) He also calls us the light of the world. (Matthew 5:14), so He is in effect speaking to all His children and says "too small a thing!!!"
Not too long ago, just a couple of weeks ago, as a matter of fact, our pastor spoke about the fact that we should net be "settlers."  We should keep striving to be the best we can be for God's glory.  It was a very simple and basic message that sort of spoke to me, but didn't really hit the mark....until today when I read this passage. (I still find it sadly amusing that so many Christians think the Old Testament is no longer relevant and should be used as a reference for the New.  Yes, it should be a reference, but there is such an extreme amount of information in it to learn which makes it MUCH MUCH more than simply a reference.  Man's writings today are a reference, but the whole of God's Word is our textbook.)
Some verses are harder to digest than others and this may be one of them.  To think that being God's servant is not enough is hard to comprehend.  We teach our children from birth practically that being God's servant is the all in all, yet here He says it is not enough!!  What does that mean?
As a parent and grandparent I can digest enough to understand that being His child (or servant) is lovely and we are greatly loved because of it, but if we do not return that love it hurts Him desperately.  All parents can relate (and some of us grandparents) to hearing a child say those dreaded words of "I hate you!" Most children say this at one time or another, and I would venture to guess that all have probably thought it at one time or another when they didn't get their way.  When we love people enough to discipline them, knowing they will become angry with us for doing so, we are going to have a moment of dislike and even hatred from them.  I know I have.  It was a bit easier to take from my children, but I have had two grandchildren speak those words to me and it cut through me much deeper than when my children said it.  Grandparents are supposed to be adored.  We are supposed to be spoilers of grandchildren.  I disagree.  If I spoil them, I am ruining their lives, so I love them deeply, do my best to bring them joy, but discipline them when they deliberately step out of the boundaries set before them.  So, yes, I have been told I am hated, but then the next moment I am hugged, asked for forgiveness and loved once again, so it's worth it! 
So I understand this in part.  God is going to discipline (disciple) us to be MORE than just His children.  Just as I want more for my children and grandchildren than to be claimed as their (grand)parent, He wants more for us than to be simply called His children.  If my family goes around telling people they belong to me and then act like the devil, I am going to be ashamed of their behavior and of myself for not having shared with them how they should behave.  God is saying the same here, "Calling me Father and Master is not enough.  You must show the world Who I am!"  Therefore, He is going to reveal to US Who He is.  I reveal to my family who I am by telling them what I desire of them and living it in front of them.  He does the same for us.  Listening and sometimes obeying when no discomfort is involved says we are His servants and are grateful for our future reward, but tuning our heart to  obey regardless of the cost in this life, that says we are His dedicated and trustworthy servant, He is truly are Master and we are His to command.  A child can be rebellious, disobedient, angry, lazy and disrespectful and we still love them.  When they are obedient, gracious, honest, respectful and obedient we are bursting at the seams with joy over them! 
This is my prayer...that I will make God burst at the seams in joy over my dedication to Him.  It is not enough to be called His servant.  Father, make me truly mean that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment