Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Secured Ascension

"If Easter Sunday was the most exciting day of the disciples' lives, for Jesus it was probably the day of Ascension.  He the Creator, who had descended so far and given up so much, was now heading home.  Like a soldier returning across the ocean from a long and bloody war...Home at last." (from Philip Yancey's The Jesus I never knew)
Every year as I read the story of Jesus' birth, something new hits me in the stomach like a fist, making me want to cry out in shame that I am to blame for His having to come in the first place.
I remember several years ago sitting and thinking about God belittling Himself to become a mere human being in the form of a helpless infant no less, needing human care of cleaning, carrying and feeding Him.  I thought on how humiliating it must have been as Creator making Himself become needy on my behalf.  As I sat there, a new thought plowed through my mind and emotions.  "Imagine how innocent a newborn is; not knowing sin, nor even wanting to know it, fulling trusting the one caring for it to give the little one what is very best so that it is nurtured and becomes the best adult possible.  Then imagine the horror felt if EVERY sin that ever has or will be dreamed of is cast on him."  In my mind's eye I saw a tortured infant's big trusting eyes looking at me with tears and I realized that I was the torturer!  Needless to say, I cried gut wrenching tears. 
Another time I came to learn that Jesus was born in Bethlehem, because Bethlehem is where the lambs for sacrifice were born and cared for until the time for their death.  I knew then that Jesus had to be born there, because He is our sacrificial lamb. 
Each year brings different eye openers for me.  The shepherds were the first told, because they were looked down on, but would come to represent leaders of God's sacrificial flock.
The wisemen came to worship and recognized that true wisdom only comes from God and so honored Him with gifts fit for a king. 
Once again I could go on and on, but this year, as I read the words by Philip Yancey, it hit me that God not only came as an innocent infant, He came into a war zone.  He was born right in the middle of a great power struggle, not only of Roman over Israelite, but Israelite over Israelite.  The Romans had the Jewish nation of Israel under their authority, but early on the Jewish leaders realized that if they "got in good" with the Roman authorities, they would be given power as well.  Herod was one of these.  Jesus came right in the middle of it all to show the world that love and trust are the only real answers; trusting Him and allowing His love to flow through us to others.
I don't know how well we've learned the lesson.  Everywhere I look I see wars raging.  In homes there is spousal and child abuse, drug and alcohol abuse, division through divorce and family services having to remove children from homes for their safety.  In the cities there are burning buildings, robberies and murder going on in the name of bigotry.  Then of course there is country vying against country for power and land.  Yes, everywhere there is still war.  Even in the church there is petty disagreements that cause such disruption that war between members breaks out at times.  The problem is we still tend to think we are in battle with people.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places]. Eph. 6:12 KJVI think we find it much easier to do battle with someone with which we can use our physical senses.  However, that is like chopping down the dandelion and allowing the root to remain.  It's gonna keep coming back for more!! 
So yes, I agree with Philip Yancey.  The Ascension day was most probably the day that brought Jesus the greatest joy - going HOME!!  He had fought the battle and won the war!!  If we could just keep remembering that!!
 
The other day my husband and I were having a relaxing Saturday afternoon when suddenly the was a loud explosion and our house began to shake.  It lasted mere seconds, but I knew it was an earthquake.  It turned out to be 2.5 on the richter scale, a minor quake.  I chuckled, because it only served to prove what a false sense of security we cling to. 
Don't get me wrong.  I am secure.  I am secure in knowing that if I live, I win - I get to remain with my loved ones here and continue finding ways to serve Jesus, but if I die, I win - I get to be with my loved ones already in heaven and even better - with Jesus - the One Who was born, gave His life through death on a cross and rose again all so that I might learn how to live under His protection in the midst of surrounding spiritual battles now and then in complete peace and harmony when I leave here to go to my real home with Him forever!!  The war is over.  The victory has been won!  My ascension day secured!

But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior.
Phil. 3:20 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment