Monday, August 10, 2015

Flexing Fingers

It seems such a very long time since I have written anything, but perhaps God was giving me time to heal from Momma's passing and then crushing my right index finger in a car door.  I stand amazed as I look back on how God deals with these kinds of issues in our lives. 
Momma died February thirteenth, making her entry into heaven just in time for Valentine's Day.  While I am certain this means little to those who are actually in heaven, I am also certain that God recognizes how important it is to those of us left here on Earth as it gave us a bit of rejoicing for her and Daddy, as he was always calling Momma his sweetheart.  It somehow placed a smile on all of our, their children, faces, even as we grieved our personal loss.
When I crushed my finger (and yes, I did it to myself by not paying attention), I stood there dumbfounded as to why I couldn't get my finger out of the door.  This only lasted a blink of an eye, but it is amazing how many thoughts can go through your mind in such short moments.   I remember thinking I should be able to move my hand but couldn't, then realizing it was because it was caught in the lock of the door and finally how stupid it was of me to put myself in such a position. I opened the car door, looked at my finger and calmly told my twelve year old granddaughter that I needed her to unlock the house door.  She asked why and I said, "Well, I closed the car door on my finger."  She asked to see it, I showed her, and she quickly and nervously began looking through my purse for the keys.  When we made it inside, I told her we needed to call her mom and see if she could take me to the hospital.  No answer.  I told her to call one of her uncles.  He lives 10-15 minutes away, was still in pajamas and had three kids to pack up, but made it to my house fully dressed in 15 minutes.  During this time I had her call her grandfather, my husband and put me on speaker.  He wanted to come home right away, but I told him we had it under control.  As we waited for my son to get there, I had to lie down on the couch to ease the queasiness trying to creep in.  Our granddaughter became agitated and started pacing.  I smiled and told her it doesn't do any good to get upset in such cases, because it won't change a thing.  She immediately calmed down and went in and started cleaning up all the blood, without being asked I might add.  Then she came back and told me this was good for her because she wants to become a veterinarian someday.  I thanked her and then she told how there was blood in the car, on the car, all over the garage floor, up the two steps, all over the kitchen floor, down the cabinets and in the sink.  I thanked her again.  I ended up with eight stitches and a 6-12 month healing sentence.  Finger flexibility is gone, but I hope will come back.  If not, it will be a constant reminder to be more vigilant when closing car doors.  I was told I would experience a lot of pain over the next several days and they wanted to prescribe narcotics for me.  I refused and have been blessed with only a twinge now and then.  God is awesome.  Why?  Because through this experience my granddaughter, who had been pulling away as teen years approach, threw herself back into my arms and has been hugging me tightly ever since!!  She shared with me her dreams as well!!  I will take that over a flexible finger any day and if I can never play my flute again, I will look at it as an opportunity to pass the mantle on to another granddaughter who desires to be a flautist like Gramma. 
Be blessed as I have been blessed and more so!

No comments:

Post a Comment