Monday, January 12, 2015

The Circle Maker

Today I begin a new journey. 
Saturday I woke at 4 am, did my Bible reading a short prayer time, wrote a blog and went back to bed at 7 am.  I slept about an hour until my husband woke up, then got up again to make breakfast.  Our day had begun.  However, it was not to be a usual day.
There were a few places we had agreed to go; the bank, Dollar Tree and Ace Hardware.  We were then going to go home and have a relaxing day.  We had talked the night before about needing a day to relax.  However, I mentioned that I had a Barnes and Noble gift card in my purse and that I would probably wait until summer to use it. I wasn't planning on bringing it up, but just felt I should.  My husband asked if I wanted to go right then?  I reminded him that we were not planning on that, but he said he had absolutely nothing else planned for the day, so why not?  Long story short, we went.
When we entered the store, a couple entered before us and I remember thinking something about how the man should be a gentleman and hold the door open if he was a Christian.  Even as I thought this, he looked over his shoulder, saw me and reached backward to grab the door for me.  I thanked him and went on in.  I walked around the store in seeming circles looking for I didn't know what.  I finally decided I needed the Christian Living section and started looking.  As I stood on my toes to search, I saw the same couple we entered with and they were walking away from the very section I wanted.  Just as I made it to the section, the wife turned around and went back into it.  I heard her say, "It's called Blink."  I felt impressed to encourage her, so I said, "Excellent book."  She turned and asked if I had read it then.  I told her that I had and own it.  This seemed to make her day.  We began a discussion on what books were really good, had changed our lives and that we recommended for each other.  I recommended Heaven and If God Is Good by Randy Alcorn and the Martyr's Trilogy by Tedd Dekker.  She recommended The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson and Not A Fan by Kyle Idleman.  She knew right where to go to get them and handed one of each to me.  I looked at the prices and had my purchase!  I thanked her and we went our separate ways.  Now I know that God has a plan and purpose for every moment of our lives, but this episode in my life only increased my belief that He orchestrates our days when we let Him.
Sunday morning I was ready to begin a new study, as I had just finished one by Charles Stanley the day before.  I looked at my two new books and felt compelled to begin The Circle Maker.
Have you ever felt that you wanted to jump up, run to and hug God HARD around the neck?  This was one of those times for me.  I read the first chapter and thought, "WOW!  This book is going to change m prayer life immensely!"  I am halfway through chapter three and it already has. 
Today I begin a new journey of discovering my Jerichos.  What do I REALLY want God to do and why?  Have I ever asked for it and if so, how did I ask?  Am I praying small so that I can make sure it happens, or am I asking the impossible so that only God can make it happen?  If I am not praying the impossible, then I am most likely still depending on myself.  But first, what is my Jericho right now?  If I don't know what it is, how can I pray about it?  Have I really defined it for myself so that I can understand it?  Well, today I did!!  Because I did, I became extremely excited and started looking for promises regarding it in God's word.  Because I actually found several promises in regard to it, I feel more confident in my prayers regarding it.  Because I feel more confident that God hears my prayers, I feel more confident He will answer.  Talk about circles!!  I am learning to make circles around my family, friends, habits, etc. and all before I have even finished the third chapter (There are eighteen, plus an epilogue)!!
I am writing this to invite you to join the journey with me if you haven't already done so.  I am praying for you even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment