Saturday, September 7, 2013

You Meant What?!

Most people seem to  have a gift at understanding the nuances behind other peoples words and actions.  I do not.  I can make inferences, but do not receive them well.
"Now it's your turn to read to me," I said to my youngest grandson who is just learning to do so.  "No, I don't want to read."  "Reading is one of the most important tools we have for learning," I replied.  "Well, I don't want to read.  I want to go downstairs and get the one blocks that stick together and build a tower."  I waited a moment and then said, "No, I don't want to build right now."
"Okay, okay, I'll read the book!"  I smiled and said, "And then we will go downstairs and get the blocks!"  He read the book cheerfully then.
Wouldn't it be nice if we all understood the point trying to be made every time?  I confess I don't take hints very well.  They tend to shoot right over my head, or in one ear and out the other, however you choose to look at it.  I have to stop and consider, but my almost four ear old grandson got it the first time. Maybe I need to be four all over again and learn how "to get it,"
My husband has learned through the years to say things in a very straight forward manner so that I don't get confused.  On the flip side, I say what I mean, which throws others for a loop at times, because the tendency to read things into what is being said is so prevalent.  For instance, when we were first married I once made a comment to Michael such as, "I'd like to go see my parents whenever you can get a weekend off."  Now that is exactly what I meant, but back then his feelings would be hurt and he would remark along the lines of, "You always blame me when we can't go see your parents!"  I was totally confused!!  Where in the world did he get that idea?  So I asked.  He started telling me about how I always mentioned his working and how it gets in the way of us visiting, but he has to work in order to provide for the family.  I assured him I realized that and didn't blame him one bit, I simply didn't know when his next weekend off was going to be.  He wasn't convinced at first.  It took several years of explaining that I mean what I say and there are no inferences included.  Saying things to me in hint fashion and not getting a response may have helped with this.  Having to explain that when he made the comment that he wished he had a hamburger meant, "Let's go to Hardees or Burger King, or could you make hamburgers for dinner," may have helped a bit.  I still get messed up now and then though.  Yesterday he told me that we would need to leave right away when he got home so he could get his mom's ceiling started (it had a sag where water had leaked in) I thought he meant immediately, so I didn't make dinner.  I admit that the thought, "I wonder if he really wants to eat before we go?" did go through my mind once or twice, but I rationalized that he had said right away, so I would be ready when he got home.  Well, he wanted to eat first.  I should have called and asked!  He knows me and didn't get upset, but simply made suggestions for a quick fix.
When studying God's word, I have to literally stop, pray and ask God if there is more to what is written than I am seeing.  I many times read a passage and say, "Lord, I just don't get it."  I have found that it is much better when He does the explaining anyway.  This morning I read this passage:
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.
There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.   Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.  To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,  to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.  All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.  I Corinthians12:4-11

After prayer I can say the inference here is not that we should strive for all the gifts and do our best to work in them or have them work in us as we can, but rather that we have all been given a gift to use for God's glory.  I don't deny that some have been given more gifts than others, nor do I believe this is an all inclusive list, as more gifts are mentioned in other passages, but I do believe that every true believer has been given at least one gift to use for Kingdom purposes. 
When I read about the talents (Matthew 25:14-30) I have to ask myself if I am using the gift(s) and talents given me for Godly purposes or for my own glory. 
Teaching is fun for me.  It is a gift and can be taken away at any moment.  If God did not give the message, I would be (and I know this is hard to imagine) wordless.  I think about the times I have not prepared a Sunday School lesson properly because I felt I knew the lesson all too well (PRIDE!!) and then fell flat on my face in the presentation.  You'd think this should only happen once and I would learn the lesson, but I assure you it has been more.....way more than once.
When I compare this to the fact that I love to sing, there is a difference.  I really love to sing, but I NEED to teach.  Singing is a God-given talent that I should use to glorify Him, but teaching is a gift that must be used not only correctly, but at the right moment.  Try to teach in my own power and talent and I fall flatter than flat.  Ask God to teach through me and children actually not only grasp the message, but teach me something new as well most of the time!  Teaching is not a one way street!
Lord, help us, Your children to realize the gift or gifts that You have placed within us.  It is hard to see a brother or sister who thinks they have nothing to offer.  If it hurts us to see this I can only imagine how You grieve over it.  Help us see that You have placed within each of us a gift, whether of preaching, teaching, ministering to the poor, or the ones that seems to be overlooked most often, the ability to love the unlovable and forgive the things that are unforgivable.  There are so many gifts You have poured out on Your children.  Help us not to envy each other, but to marvel at You at work in us instead.  Help us learn to work together so that every gift may be made manifest in a lost and dying world.

No comments:

Post a Comment