Friday, December 14, 2012

The Emotion of Music

"The system of truth is not one straight line, but two.  No man will ever get the right view of the gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once."  Charles Spurgeon

When I read this simple statement a light bulb went off in my head and it flashed the word "music" over and over again.  I think there are more lines than two.  I believe God is so complex that those of us who love and adore Him will spend all eternity searching Him out and learning more and more about Him each and every moment.
Music flows through my veins.  My daddy played guitar and violin (or fiddle, as he called it) and he could sing.  Momma played piano by ear and still sings beautifully, as all who really know her will tell you.  All my siblings and myself love to sing, and some of us play musical instruments, mostly piano, but I am the oddball who plays flute.   I married a trumpeter who has a gorgeous voice and now two of our three children work in the music industry - one teaches vocal and the other instrumental music, in the same middle school building no less.  Our oldest son has won karaoke competitions as well, though he is a businessman rather than musician.  I write all this simply to confirm that I do indeed bleed music. 
The one part of music that has always intrigued and astounded me is the conductor and his/her ability to read a musical score in order to direct each part.  If you have never seen an orchestral score, here is a single page I copied off the internet, so it is free for the viewing:

An orchestra conductor "reads" this as a whole and will immediately stop the music the moment one part is not played as written.  Where I would have perhaps two sheets of paper in front of me with only my part on it, he/she may have 50 pages of the same piece written as above and must view the piece as a whole.  I have to concentrate to play one line at a time while they are seeing the entire score and can pick out my slightest mistake!!  I marvel at this!!
There are harmonies in each piece that play beautifully and there are clashing parts that make us cringe, but they are all there for a purpose - they make us feel and understand what the author of the movement was trying to convey - joy, anger, amusement, frustration, etc. 
We must remember in this life that God is the Author of our lives and He sees every piece as a whole, just as the conductor sees the score.  He knows when things will harmonize and make us happy, when they will clash and make us angry and frustrated, when they will mesh so closely that we aren't certain what we are feeling until much later and when they will make us want to cry for their beauty or their agony.  If we are His we can trust that the music, though it has many difficult places to play through, will always turn out to be a blessing to those around us listening.  We can also trust that He will bring the music, not to a complete end, but have it eventually join in with the chorus of eternity with all the saints that have gone on before us. 
I was asked once if music always makes us feel emotion.  I believe music defines emotion when there is no other way to express it. 
"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.  'Praise the Lord!'"  Psalm 150:6

No comments:

Post a Comment