Friday, June 1, 2012

Being a Settler

I was watching a movie as I crocheted this morning.  As I listened to what the characters were saying, these words played through my mind, "I am a settler."  Is this a good thing?  I don't know.  Is it a bad thing?  I don't think so.  I Timothy 6:6-8 says, "Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content."  The question is, am I content with being a settler?  By a settler I mean that if someone I love wants something other than what I want, I tend to allow them to have their way, even if it means giving up completely on my dreams.  I do NOT mean that I give in when it is something wrong.  If one of my grandchildren came and showed me something they had stolen, I would take them to the store and make them either return the item, or if it was already open or used, pay for it.  If they didn't have the money, they could work for me to pay for it.  I can be extremely stubborn in these types of situations.
I once dated a young man (we were only 16) who supposedly had given up drinking for me.  Some very close friends were talking about a party they had attended and with red faces told me how this same young man had gotten drunk on 6 beers.  When he came over that evening, I broke up with him.  He plead his cause and said it was a misunderstanding and he'd never drink again.  It didn't phase my decision, though my heart hurt for him.  Drinking at that age is illegal and I would have broken up with anyone who did so.  Some thought I should have given a second chance.  This was his second chance, but they did not know all the circumstances, nor did I believe they needed to, so I let them think poorly of me.  However,  in a situation where it is simply a matter of opinion -  say I have a vision to decorate my home in a particular manner and my husband is uncomfortable with it - I will ask what he would like and go with it.  Something like that, though saddening a bit, is not worth getting upset over in my opinion.  I have been told that my attitude isn't healthy and that I should stand up for what I want, but would this  make me more content, or simply happy for a brief moment?  Contentment is much more lasting that happiness.   Hebrews 13:5 says,  "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'” Every time I start to feel upset regarding what I have or don't have, I pray God brings this verse to mind as a refresher course. I have everything I need and more.  Shouldn't that be enough to keep me content?

No comments:

Post a Comment