Monday, May 14, 2012

Pride Stupor

It amazes me daily how easy it is to fall into a stupor of pride.  It is difficult to recognize at first, because of its subtlety.   It sneaks up on us like a kitten at play, but when it pounces, it has somehow transformed into a wildcat.
 My personal journey with pride is long (all my life), burdensome at times and frustrating at best.
Just as I start thinking that maybe I've come along a little way, something happens that reveals another area of my heart where it has been lurking, waiting for a time and place to burst forth.  It wouldn't be so intolerable if it wasn't trying so hard to destroy me.   But if it were more tolerable, I wouldn't have the desire to be free of it.  I am thankful that it is so detestable.
Pride destroys a testimony in its first breath.  Think of the pharisee and the tax collector.  Before the pharisee uttered his first words, his thoughts betrayed their meaning - I am better than "these" types of people.
We each have our own versions of "phariseeisms."  (My made up word.)  "Look at how fat/skinny that person is!  I'm glad that's not me!"  "They are so stubborn!  Glad I'm not like that."  "I can't believe she said that!"  While God sighs.
   "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."  Proverbs 16:18
The more I desire to be free of pride, the more it is revealed in my spirit man.  While this hurts dreadfully to realize the extent of my own sin nature, I realize that the discipline of sin revealed is the only way to deliverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment